SOS! Plants melting, Ammonia spike! - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Kubla

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
SOS! Plants melting, Ammonia spike!

Hello, I really need your help. Last Monday I introduce new plants to my 27 gallon tank. Also I made a 45% water change. Now my water is cloudy, a little of bad odor and some plants leafs melting. I test for ammonia and the reading was 1 ppm and Nitrate almost 80ppm.

What i can do? Another water change? Reduce photo period?

Some fishes die. I don't have CO2. Only Excel at this moment.

Please help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Are you using tap water? What kind of substrate, is it dirted? Is it heavily enough planted were there could be dead livestock that you're not aware of? What kind of filter? Have you checked it? Do water changes. Test your water that you're adding. 80ppm nitrate is obviously high. How are you testing? Some of the test have challenges with accuracy. Water changes almost always help. Change half the water and you'll get rid of half of the ammonia and nitrates as long as you aren't adding them back with the new water.
jlugo89 and jlugo89 like this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 12:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
not enough details. makes no sense why your water all of a sudden became cloudy. seems pretty obvious that you introduced something 'toxic' to the tank along with the plants? you should know if this is the case or not... given the details you provided we have nothing to work with...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi Kubla, I'm using tap water. I made the big mistake and didn't add Prime to the new water. The substrate is EcoComplete. All the dead livestock were removed. For my 27gallon tank I have a Eheim 2211. I'm testing the water with the API Master Kit. I already made a 5 gallons water change and add Prime this time!

Klibs let me know if you need to know something else.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 04:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

I would do a bigger water change than that. 50% minimum I'd shoot for more like 75%. There's no reason to leave bad water in the tank. "All the dead livestock were removed" By livestock I meant animals. Did you have casualties? If so, when and were they in the tank for a while?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Before the water change all the livestock (fishes) were alive. Ottos and Platys. After the planting and the big water change without the dechlorinator (I normally use Prime) The fish died. I made the water change at 11pm Monday and when I woke up Tuesday at 5:30am I saw them dead, only 1 Platy survive. Obviously I take the dead ones away.

When I go home today, I will do a big water change (50%).

Yesterday I received a regulator and now I have everything I need to set up the CO2 in my tank. You recommended me to set up the CO2 at the same time Im having this problem or wait until the water return to normality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
I would do a bigger water change than that. 50% minimum I'd shoot for more like 75%. There's no reason to leave bad water in the tank. "All the dead livestock were removed" By livestock I meant animals. Did you have casualties? If so, when and were they in the tank for a while?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 02:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'd hold off on adding CO2 until you get things under control. As Klibs said, there's not enough details to figure out what's going wrong. What kind of light, photo period, distance to substrate. Details on fertilizing. All the water parameters that you can measure, nitrate, GH, KH etc. A picture of the overall setup might be useful too! Any chance you might have missed a dead fish and left it in there?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have an EcoTech Radion XR15w Pro Gen3. Im running the light in the freshwater template. My photo period is from 4:00pm to 10:00pm (See Picture). My tank height is 20 and the light is 8 above water. I would say 26.5 from the substrate. For fertilizing Im using Thrive from NilocGs. No fish Left in there, only bought 10 fishes, 9 died and were taken out. Regarding the parameters: pH 7.2, Ammonia 1.0ppm and Nitrates 60ppm before the small water change of 5 gallons and cleaning the filter. Im going to make a 50% water change today.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode