Phosphate dosing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Phosphate dosing

I'm just curious how much everyone doses Phosphate? How much per dose? How many times a week if multiple and maybe an overall weekly amount they add? Not sure how accurate my Phosphate test kit is but usually reads around 1-2 ppm. I just read a post from Tom Barr where he said he doses 5 ppm 3 x week, curious if others dose this much? I want to increase mine and see what happens. I've been adding about .15 grams which the calculator says 1.38 ppm 3 x week. I'm thinking I should be dosing more.

#TheLand

Last edited by gnovince; 02-07-2017 at 09:34 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 10:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I dose the same as you, 1.3 ppm of PO4 3 times a week. That's plenty in my opinion. In fact, that's plenty in Tom Barr's opinion. That 1.3 number comes from his method of dosing, the EI method. The amounts he stated in the article were used by Carlos Flores (aka Wet) who wrote the first online nutrient calculator. I communicated quite a lot with Carlos before his death about the calculations and programming points of view. I had written a Windows based calculator based on many ideas he "pioneered" so to speak. The doses listed for EI, EI daily and EI weekly were approved by Tom Barr based on what Carlos had told me. Is it true? Probably, but you would have to ask Tom Barr about that. If you choose EI the dose amount is... drum roll... 1.3! lol

Here is a link to my Windows based Calculator

Here is a link to an online version based on Carlos' first calculator.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Awesome! Thanks for the info! I will just continue with the 1.3 then. Haven't had any problems just got me thinking when I read that. I guess the ole' "If it's not broke why fix"

#TheLand

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnovince View Post
Haven't had any problems just got me thinking when I read that. I guess the ole' "If it's not broke why fix"
Probably the best advise in ANY situation. Although, I'm from the south. Saying that here sounds a little different, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is the way we say it round these parts. ya hear? lol
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Haha For sure! I swear I said it that way in my head though. LOL

#TheLand
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 03:17 PM
Algae Grower

Yep, 1.3 ppm 3x per week is all that is needed for good growth. Or just round that up to 2 ppm, it doesn't matter. The only reason for pushing it up to 5 ppm 3x per week is to help combat green spot algae.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 05:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I try to dose to hit a target ratio of one part phosphate to 15 parts nitrate. I never tested for phosphate level until I read(on this forum) a thread about GSA possibly caused by low PO4. I really doubted I had low levels until I tested and they came in at barely above 0. Did some research online and found several articles and forum discussions advocating this ratio concept for algae control. I started dosing small amounts of PO4 until I got in the ratio range and the GSA has al but disappeared. No increase in other algae noted. I'm currently dosing about 1/16th teaspoon in solution 1-2 times a week in a 125g tank. Happy with the results.

Free of algae with Redfield Ratio | Aquariumpagina's van Charles Buddendorf

I have to make an additional comment that this phosphate/nitrate ratio does not seem to have much of an effect on BBA. I am becoming convinced(along with many others here) that the primary cause of BBA is high organics.

Last edited by jr125; 02-08-2017 at 05:45 PM. Reason: comment

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode