Dry water soluble ferts advice and experience - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I was wondering about using like commercial dry fertilizers that are water soluble. I was looking for someone that has used it or is currently using. Like what kind, all that kind of stuff.

I'm basically asking about stuff from like a Lowe's or home depot type.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-05-2017 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 11:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi Aquaman83,

Regrettably most 'commercial fertilizers' use some derivative of ammonia for their nitrogen source; ammonia kills fish and can easily cause algae outbreaks. That said, some (but very few; carefully study the Safety Data Sheet / SDS for ingredients) stump removers are made from potassium nitrate (KNO3). Also, Fleet Saline Enema is a souce of potassium phosphate (KH2PO4 / "a dose of 59 mL, which contains 9.5 g monobasic sodium phosphate monohydrate and 3.5 g dibasic sodium phosphate heptahydrate.") but also contains a significant amount of sodium which can cause issues. I use a Chelated Iron product (that I researched) from a hydroponics store to supplement the CSM+B that I dose as my source of micro-nutrients.

Some folks use a time release fertilizer (Osmocote Plus) in gel capsules placed well below the surface of the substrate (to avoid issues with the ammonia it contains) but if the capsules become uprooted or disturbed ammonia spikes have occurred that not only cause issues with algae but fish.

I find that purchasing fertilizers from Aquariumfertilizer.com, Greenleaf Aquarium, or nilocg.com are usually quicker, less expensive, and I have the piece of mind of a known quality rather than trying 'alternative fertilizers'.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 02-05-2017 at 03:16 AM. Reason: ..
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I lived in farm country when starting planted and it seemed like a no brainer to go down to the farm store. Does not work for find what I need without all the stuff I don't need. The normal 10-10-10 is not good for us. But I do highly recommend nilocg.com as a reasonable, quick and easy way to get what is needed from a reliable place in the sizes we will find practical. If time and effort mean much to you, don't bother looking for better. Maybe five dollars a year higher but saves days/weeks and lots of trauma in research and mistakes! Epsom salt is one I get local , like out of my wife's stash?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I appreciate it. I seen alot of talk about them but never really had results. I'm thinking about getting the pps pro pack from green leaf aquariums. In the next couple months, I plan to purchase a co2 system and an automatic doser.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode