Best root tabs... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Best root tabs...

Looking to spot feed a couple Apongetons as I will be planting them in my 93g cube and have Flourite Black for the substrate. Might do a little water column dosing for the Anubias sp. but the Apons will probably need an extra boost.

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 04:09 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Good question and I hope those with experience will provide their opinions. I used the osmocote filled capsules in the past but I disliked having the balls exposed when I uprooted a plant and it was a pita trying to remove them. I also probably used too much which was a detriment to both my fish and plants. I have just started using the clay filled capsules although I am not sure of the nutrient concentrations or if it can actually be determined given it contains red clay and mineralized soil. Maybe someone can answer the question if in the future I re-did a section of my tank and after pulling out the plants a deep gravel clean would remove the red clay and soil.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Best root tabs...

I've used the flourish, API and osmocote+ capsules and found them all to be of equal quality. Osmocote in capsules is the most economical (spent $20 for prob ten years worth) but the down side is the little pellets coming up if you pull a bunch of plants. You can easily tweeze them out but it could be a pain. Keep in mind that the nutrients will also leak into the water column for the anubias as well. Just depends on your light/co2 to warrant column dosing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcooper View Post
I've used the flourish, API and osmocote+ capsules and found them all to be of equal quality. Osmocote in capsules is the most economical (spent $20 for prob ten years worth) but the down side is the little pellets coming up if you pull a bunch of plants. You can easily tweeze them out but it could be a pain. Keep in mind that the nutrients will also leak into the water column for the anubias as well. Just depends on your light/co2 to warrant column dosing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Low light no CO2 at this time, though that could change I don't really plan on making this too high tech

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 10:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
O+ Is my suggestion. I give them away from time to time and you can always find someone selling them. I bought a bulk order of 00 gel capsules and some O+ at the hardware store. Works pretty well from what I've seen. Definitely the most economical.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 10:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Osmocote "Pot Shots" for me, unless I already used pellet's as part of substrate mix.
They have I believe discontinued the Osmocote "Pot Shot's" but you can still find them on Flea bay/Amazon.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode