• 2 Post By klibs
  • 2 Post By klibs
  • 4 Post By klibs
  • 2 Post By Acro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Does a lot beneficial bacteria suspend in water?

I recently made a risky move and put 15 new fish in anuncycled aquarium with a couple bottles of nitrifying liquid bacteria and deammonia liquid.

If I do daily water changes, while slowing the growth and establishment of bacteria on filters, sand, stone, etc. Will this have any negative affect? Planning on doing 50% every other day. The bacteria is starting to grab hold but not enough uet. I wouldn't be siphoning gravel either except for uneatem food.

I see ammonia spike to .5 every two days but nitrites are forming too which is a good sign that the bacteria is doing well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 04:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
The vast majority of bacteria is on surfaces, not free floating. You and your fish are better served by the water changes clearing wastes than by whatever little bacteria is floating in the water.

Keep monitoring, and when you get 0s for ammonia and nitrite, and start seeing nitrates rise, you can stop the daily WC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's what I figured but wanted to check. Thanks. The nitrifying bacteria bottle says not to do water changes for two weeks. Would this be because when first added it needs somewhere to attach?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
how bad this really is will be relative to the size of fish you introduced / overall tank size. 15 small fish in a 125g is likely a non-issue but in something like a 20-30g this is a steep increase of bioload. i will assume your situation is closer to the latter given your readings...

keep doing very frequent large water changes to avoid toxic levels. you really have no choice on this matter. your tank will cycle eventually but you will need to keep a close eye on parameters until stable so your fish stay healthy. keep in mind that nitrites / ammonia are BAD for fish so you really want to minimize them. IMO you should consider doing more frequent water changes (daily). If nitrites are building up over 24 hours you want to get them out of there.

I believe that doing very frequent water changes does not 'prevent' tanks from cycling (I think this is what you are assuming?). people may argue me on that but I don't buy it... i am not sure why so many people think this is the case and think they have to have a constant high level of ammonia for any bacteria to colonize. when i set up a new tank I almost immediately add a handful of fish (5-10% of overall end-game bioload) and perform ~daily 50% water changes for a while then check tank readings every once in a while. I slow down the frequency of water changes over a period of a week or two and then after a little while my nitrites are gone forever so yes, my tank is cycled. then over time add fish in batches of 10-25% of end-game bioload until fully stocked. you never want to make drastic increases IMO so don't do stuff like add 10 fish to a tank with only 10 fish in it.

basically in the future do not attempt crap like this. this is how fish get sick and diseases come in and wipe out your tank (i have been there before). one of those situations happening will convince you it is not worth it in the future. add a few fish and stock your tank over time as the tank stabilizes. you are much less likely to run into issues stocking your tank over time. now i accept the fact that it will take 3+ months to fully stock my tanks given initial cycling time and purchasing/quarantining fish in smaller batches. the survival rate / lack of health issues is by far and away superior when you take it slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgonedaddy View Post
The vast majority of bacteria is on surfaces, not free floating. You and your fish are better served by the water changes clearing wastes than by whatever little bacteria is floating in the water.

Keep monitoring, and when you get 0s for ammonia and nitrite, and start seeing nitrates rise, you can stop the daily WC.
yes, basically this

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOJOLOACH23 View Post
That's what I figured but wanted to check. Thanks. The nitrifying bacteria bottle says not to do water changes for two weeks. Would this be because when first added it needs somewhere to attach?
No, you need to perform WC. the 'cycle your tank with a bottle' products are all fine and good but IMO you need to do daily WC to prevent toxic levels in your situation. IMO using these products and not doing WC on a brand new tank for 2 weeks is terrible advice. the bacteria needs to colonize in your filter media / surfaces within your tank and this will not happen to extent you need it to immediately after dumping in a bottle of products. performing WC and having your bacteria build up over time is more reasonable

I use Seachem Stability when I start my tanks (not sure if it actually helps or not but whatever) and do WC like I mentioned above. IMO the method I outlined above is by far the best way to go. your tank WILL cycle eventually and your fish will be happy thoughout. just be patient
maxhrbal and maxhrbal like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply. It's 12 adult green corys in a 55 with over filtration . Only reason doing this is because I got them for a steal... good thing in ready for the water changes. Thanks
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

you should be fine if you keep an eye on it, corys are pretty hardy.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reassurance... monitoring in a.m. and pm as well. I'll take your advice above still and do large water changes frequently.

I also put some wood from a pre-existing tank in there too, so that should have some good bacteria on it as well. Not letting ammonia go above 1 ppm. Inforget tye nitrite range but I'm letting it get to a lower level but not zero
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

are you saying you have an established tank in addition to this one? if you already have an established tank running just put some of that established media in your new filter. that will enable it to basically immediately handle some of your bio-load and cycle much more quickly. it will jump-start your bacteria colony much more than the stuff in the bottles. you should always use pre-seeded media in new tanks if available

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 07:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post
are you saying you have an established tank in addition to this one? If you already have an established tank running just put some of that established media in your new filter. That will enable it to basically immediately handle some of your bio-load and cycle much more quickly. It will jump-start your bacteria colony much more than the stuff in the bottles. You should always use pre-seeded media in new tanks if available
+1 ^
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I do... but the established tank is in the exact same situation. lol got 12 beautiful angels in a 4 month old expensive rainbow fish tank. Such a bad idea lol. I think the established tank with the 12 new quarter sized angels is better off but still doing water changes. Equally on both, around 50% daily.

Yes i will swap filter media between the two tanks.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I do... but the established tank is in the exact same situation. lol got 12 beautiful angels in a 4 month old expensive rainbow fish tank. Such a bad idea lol. I think the established tank with the 12 new quarter sized angels is better off but still doing water changes. Equally on both, around 50% daily.

Yes i will swap filter media between the two tanks.
Regardless, the. Take some media from the established tank. 100(for example) bacteria can reproduce at 25 times the rate of 4 bacteria. The new tank has to establish a colony. The excisting tank has it, and will recover very quickly. Not much difference than adding fish.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update: Zero fish killed... All fish 24 fish are in the 55 gallon. Angels are twice as big now and still growing. A bi daily 50-80% water change was done on the 55 as well as the 40 once every 4 days
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 11:30 PM
Algae Grower

Nice! Glad to hear. I love Cory's and would have been tempted too! Lol

#TheLand
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 12:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Update: Zero fish killed... All fish 24 fish are in the 55 gallon. Angels are twice as big now and still growing. A bi daily 50-80% water change was done on the 55 as well as the 40 once every 4 days
Good to hear!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode