Osmocote Root Tabs - Ammonia? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Osmocote Root Tabs - Ammonia?

A few days ago I added 10 x Osmocote root tabs to my 125G tank, the tank has been set up for about a month but was an upgrade from a 55G. So everything transferred over (except the original substrate). Over the last few days I have started losing an alarming number of fish, at the moment 3 x angel fish and at this point I believe 10-12 Corydoras.

I took a water sample to an LFS, as the API Liquid kits I have on hand are I suspect out of date. They indicated that ammonia was showing up, not in high levels, but enough to be concerned. I should have asked them what the PPM was.... The fish can be completely fine one day, then start acting listless, ignoring food and then dead by next morning. The corydoras I don't see any symptoms, likely due to them being hidden in plants, under wood etc.

Ruling out any sickness, I did some searching and found more than one instance of Osmocote tabs causing an ammonia spike. I have black diamond sand in the tank, at about 2.5" of depth. I pushed the root tabs in to what I thought was a sufficient depth, but it appears I may not have done so. Having said all that, the tabs will have been in the tank for 4 (maybe 5) days now, so likely the casing has dissolved. I have been carrying out daily 50%+ water changes, but am wondering if it is the Osmocote (and not an illness) causing a spike, how long should I expect it to continue with 10 tabs in the tank? I realize ultimately the beneficial bacteria should multiply enough to handle it, but in the meantime is it a case of daily testing and water changes until I read 0 ammonia and simply hope it is not too much longer.

The strange thing is that I have a few tetras in the tank and have not lost a single one. The angels were new, so possibly stress with the ammonia is what ultimately killed them? and I am assuming corys are taking the brunt due to being low down in the tank where I assume ammonia is being released from the tabs.

I have read that the tabs should last 3-4 months, in future how many should I add to a 125G that is moderately planted?

Thanks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode