Help with water parameters - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help with water parameters

Hey guys,

Any help or advice would be awesome. So I have a fluval edge 6 gallon tank that I'm starting. I got all the equipment I need to start but I want to know if the plants and fish I want will survive with my tap water parameters and if not, what I should do.

I was thinking about dwarf hair grass, HC Cuba, and a type of moss for a tree.

Also, I will be putting shrimp and some sort of fish that is fine in 6 gallons (open to suggestions for both)

Below is a link to my areas latest water report
http://www.mudomaha.com/sites/default/files/CCR2015.pdf

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 10:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Your tank water parameters are going to be set somewhat by the things in your tank. The substrate, rocks, driftwood, and other decorations in the tank all play a part in what you end up with. I suggest setting up your tank and completing a fishless cycle first. Get a good run of tests on your tank's parameters and keep a record of them(I put mine into a spreadsheet-I have one for each tank). When you get a feel of what you have going, you can research what livestock you want to bring in. Most livestock will adjust to your tank's parameters. Plants you can add from the get-go for the most part, even while you are cycling the tank. Most plants are more concerned about lighting, ferts, water temperature, and plant eating/uprooting livestock. The carpet plants that you mentioned will need a good bit of light to grow well, and they will also do better with co2 injection. Bear in mind that anything that you do to, or add to, your tank on a daily/weekly basis will affect the water parameters and you need to take that into account. Co2 injection, for example will move ph and kh throughout the course of the day. Don't worry too much about what comes out of your tap, it will change somewhat throughout the seasons probably. When it makes it to your tank, it will become tank water and settle to the parameters that you saw in your tests(more or less). Be sure and use a good water conditioner to remove chlorine/chloramines etc, when you do your water changes. Prime is a favorite of a lot of people on here. Good luck.

A paranoid shrimp keeper, is a successful shrimp keeper.
10G Orange Rili
10G Orange Neo
10G Green Jade
10G Carbon Rili
10G Blue Dream
38G Red Cherry

Last edited by Turningdizzy; 01-26-2017 at 10:09 PM. Reason: grammar correction
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks a lot for that explanation. Helped a ton. For water changes, do I add anything besides prime?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 10:45 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm glad you shared this report and I took the time to review it (a little) your drinking water contains Atrazine, Radioactive Contaminants (Arsenic) , chloroform, copper and other minute traces of interesting compounds. Although some of these 'contaminants' are naturally occurring, acceptable levels or not monitored by governing agencies they're still present in your drinking water! This brings to light the importance of our freshwater ecosystems and why they need to be studied. Like Turningdizzy said water quality fluctuates drastically based on a number of different factors. IMO I'd also get a system cycling and try to stabilize it best you can. Be sure to treat your water with a dechlorinator or aerate it, you should be fine.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply and taking the time to review the report. I agree with you how important our ecosystem is and why I want to create one and learn from it! I have Prime all ready to go. I added a little water to my tank that's already set up to get an idea of the readings with the substrate, decorations, etc. pH looked to be around 7.3 or so

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode