had to switch to RO/DI water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
had to switch to RO/DI water

after testing and retesting i just have to use RO water

i let some tap water sit for 2 days and another for 1 day. tested each one and they were the same(using lamotte kits).
PH = 8.5
kh = 7.8 (140 ppm)
no3 = 0
po4 = 3ppm

i always used rodi for my reef but i thought i could get by with just using tap and declor, but it looks like i cant.

will potassium magnesium sulfate(mgso4) rase my KH ? i have tons of calcium hydroxide. i know i can bring up the kh with that and also use baking soda.

as for trace stuff i know i will need to be adding po4 and no3 back into the water, but how much csm+b should i add ?(i am mixing it 1 tablespoon to 250ml rodi water)(i do about 40gal water change at a time) and i need to go out and get some chelated iorn and an iorn test kit(its on order), i know the csm+g has too much CU in it to just be dosed to keep the iorn where it needs to be.

80g 48''w 22''h 18''w
Eheim 2028 professionel II, Eheim 2026 professionel II
4x54w t5's with parabolic reflectors (sun light supply with triad electronic ballasts )
Rancho single stage controler on an Ebo
160 lbs of eco-complete.
milwaukee co2 with controler & 5# tank
3xLake Kutubu Rainbow Fish, 6xRummy nose tetra, 5xOtocinclus, too many Cherry shrimp 5xAmino
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

after a 35-40% water change with RO the tank sat at

alk = 100 ppm was 160ppm
po4 = 1.5 ppm was 3ppm
PH = 8.0 was 8.5
no3 still 0 was 0 i dosed it up to 5ppm

i still need to do a few more water changes with rodi, also the SI was at 2 ppm and now is at a little over .5

80g 48''w 22''h 18''w
4x54w t5's with parabolic reflectors (sun light supply with triad electronic ballasts )
160 lbs of eco-complete.
3xLake Kutubu Rainbow Fish, 6xRummy nose tetra, 5xOtocinclus, too many Cherry shrimp 5xAmino
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 06:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
which of your water parameter are you worried about? Why are you thinking of raising KH? Your KH is not low. What is your GH? Calcium/Magnesium will raise GH, not KH. baking soda will raise KH but you don't need it. PO4 at 3ppm is high, so partial RO will help with that, 1-2ppm is ok (but then, if you keep other nutrients in good level you might not have an algae problem even with that). The key would be to stick to a fixed RO/tap water ratio that you are comfortable with and be consistent and develope a consistent dosing schedule around it. Fluctuating water parameters will cause algae problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 11:30 PM
Planted Member

I wouldn't go to the bother and expense of RO just because phosphates were 3.0. I'd live with that unless it caused an obvious problem, and then I'd try a phosphate remover, if I really had to.

In fresh water aquaria high levels of phosphates are not seen as being the problem that they were 5 or 10 years ago.

If you should develop an algae problem I'd bet it would be due to low nitrates or another low nutrient problem, not to high phosphates.

How is your aquarium doing? If it looks OK and the plants and fish seem healthy, I wouldn't complicate things.

Good luck!

Bill
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

everything is fine but the diatoms will not go away. they have been lessening sence i have started rodi water (i have the rodi because i had a reef so it is not all that expensive) the SI in the tap water is high.

i am keeping the no3 at 10 ppm p04 is down to 1 ppm.
this week when i pick up my co2 tank i am going top up the no3 to 15 ppm and see how that goes.

how do you find the gh of water ?

80g 48''w 22''h 18''w
160 lbs of eco-complete.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode