Cloudy water from ferts? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By roadmaster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question Cloudy water from ferts?

Since I have been increasing ferts my water is cloudy. I am dosing Seachem equilibrium, KNO3 (potassium nitrate, K2SO4 (potassium sulfate), and NaHCO3 (baking soda).

Has anyone else had this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 06:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I see this in my low tech tank's that get dosed once a week when I over do it with the mineral salt's.
I have noted that is seems to clear within a day or two with fairly heavy plant mass.
I also see this if I let faucet run full blast when re-filling the tank which has soil under blasting media.(refill at slower rate)
I also see this if I let filter material get too dirty so I clean one of two filter's once every couple week's.(tank's running two filter's)
Prolly would not need to clean the material as often in a tank with fine gravel /sand only,but dirt underneath leads me to clean the material more often.
Maybe more plant's are needed to use the extra fertz you are adding?
My two cent's.
Hilde and Hilde like this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
I see this when I over do it with the mineral salt's.
I also see this if I let filter material get too dirty so I clean one of two filter's once every couple week's.
Prolly with dirt underneath leads me to clean the material more often.
Maybe more plant's are needed to use the extra fertz you are adding?
Yeh these pertain to me. Thanks!!

Canister filter says clean it every 3 months. So it needs to be cleaned more often with a dirt tank?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 04:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Yeh these pertain to me. Thanks!!

Canister filter says clean it every 3 months. So it needs to be cleaned more often with a dirt tank?
I would open the canister after three week's and clean all filter material except biomedia (Ceramic's,bioball's,etc)
This is only what I do,but yes,,the soil based tanks filter media seem's to me to get dirtier faster IME.
If the filter material is near black when rinsed in sink or bucket of aquarium water,then I might consider cleaning the filter more often.
Don't take long to get a feel for how dirty the filter material is getting between cleaning's.
I Started with fishy side of the hobby,and good robust filtration that is kept clean produced the best result's ,so monthly filter cleaning was what worked the best for me regardless of what type of substrate I was using.
Same for weekly 50% water changes.
Is still what I do.
Mileage would vary for many folk's depending on a whole slew of factor's Like fish load.frequency of feeding's,size of tank.filter size,etc.
If you place a little biomedia in the filter, and do not rinse it under tap water which might contain chlorine,then you can get fairly aggressive with cleaning the filter pad's,sponges,etc.
I buy spare set of media for my filter's and just swap out dirty ones for clean ones which I clean under the tap in sink.
I leave the biomedia alone except to maybe pour the water I drain from the canister over the basket of biomedia.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode