• 2 Post By crypticmonk
  • 2 Post By mistergreen
  • 2 Post By mistergreen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Chlorine Deficiency?

I was reading that chlorine is one of the micronutrients used in plants. I don't have any chlorine in my water, and the trace mix I use doesn't have any. Is it possible to have a deficiency in this? Does anyone dose chlorine?
Muntaseer and Muntaseer like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticmonk View Post
I was reading that chlorine is one of the micronutrients used in plants. I don't have any chlorine in my water, and the trace mix I use doesn't have any. Is it possible to have a deficiency in this? Does anyone dose chlorine?
Where did you read that chlorine is a micronutrient?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticmonk View Post
Hi crypticmonk,

Chlorine is a gas, chloride is a possible nutrient though seldom causes a deficiency.

Quote:
Leaves eventually become bronze colored....chloride deficiency
If you post a picture maybe we can give you some idea where to start.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by York1 View Post
Where did you read that chlorine is a micronutrient?
Here are a couple sources, but I'm surprised you haven't heard this, it's pretty well documented that chlorine is a micronutrient for plants...
https://www.clemson.edu/public/regul...onutrients.pdf
Macronutrients and micronutrients - Aquarium-fertilizer.com

And I just saw that Flourish has Chlorine in it, so I guess it is used...

Bump: And yes, Seattle_Aquarist, technically it is Chloride, but it's kind of a Phosphorus vs. Phosphate, Nitrogen vs. Nitrate thing (i.e. doesn't really matter).

I don't know what is going on with my plants, and no one else does either (I tried posting a few months ago about it). It's just something I thought of, because I know there is no Chloride in the water, although, like I said, I just realized Flourish has Cl in it (I just use the tabs), so maybe that's enough. It's just something people don't talk about, and I'm not sure why...It's like Phosphates, people just talk about how bad it is, but no one talks about the fact that it can easily become a deficiency (I unfortunately found this out after several months of near zero ppm)...
Bananableps and Bananableps like this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi crypticmonk,

Quote:
existing in the soil as the chloride (Cl-) anion.
As I said chloride, not chlorine. Yes Seachem states that there is 'chlorine' in their Flourish Comprehensive, it is in the form of chloride being dosed as Potassium Chloride the first "Derived from" ingredient. So are the leaves of your plant turning 'Bronze'?

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi crypticmonk,

As I said chloride, not chlorine. Yes Seachem states that there is 'chlorine' in their Flourish Comprehensive, it is in the form of chloride being dosed as Potassium Chloride the first "Derived from" ingredient. So are the leaves of your plant turning 'Bronze'?
I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, so don't be offended, but you know that Chloride is a compound and not an element, right? Chlorine is the ELEMENT you are adding, just like when you add Nitrate, Nitrogen is the element plants use. Chloride has Chlorine in it.
And I also realized that I am probably getting enough from Seachem Replenish, so I don't think it's a concern for me, but I do think people should take this into consideration. I was wondering, does anyone know exactly how dechlorinators work? Would they affect Chloride?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 03:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Dechlorinators just lock up the chlorine so it can't kill. It's still in the water, so plants probably have some way of absorbing it. Even if your water isn't chlorinated, it probably has some salt (sodium chloride) in it that your plants are using.

If you post a pic of your plants, we might be able to tell you what's wrong with them. Chances are, it's something more common.

Proud member of
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 03:49 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Chlorine/chloride deficiency is the last thing you should look at. Trace Chloride is naturally occurring in the soil. Try Other things like Macros,CO2,secondary macros, and then Micros.

If you have pictures of your plants, we can identify the deficiency.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well these are from the original post I made. The plants are worse now though (all of the lower leaves are gone). I don't know if you saw the post I made today on Microplex, but I'm thinking I overdosed on it. I also am pretty sure I had a Potassium, Phosphate, and Iron deficiency (the last two I know for sure, since I tested for them). So I'm pretty sure I know what's going on (also have been having insanely high Nitrates and algae), but you can take a look at them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plant1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	314.0 KB
ID:	711674  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	711682  

Name:	plant2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	711690  

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi crypticmonk,

Thanks for the pics, tell me about your water...PH, dKH, dGH. Also, if you are on city water I should be able to look up the most recent water analysis by your local water company.....where do you live (besides the USA)?

Roy_________

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi crypticmonk,

Thanks for the pics, tell me about your water...PH, dKH, dGH. Also, if you are on city water I should be able to look up the most recent water analysis by your local water company.....where do you live (besides the USA)?
Thanks, but I've looked at it already. Plus, I only use 1/3 tap water, the rest is RO.
All other parameters are fine, pH6.8, KH 4, dGH 8.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 02:22 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
So how much nutrients are you dosing? Deficiencies do come in multiples.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 06:29 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I dont think you should be worried over Chloride deficiency. there are plenty more macro and micro nutrients that you need to check for. here you can check out the deficiency symptoms of some of the major nutrients.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode