Using R/O Right - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Using R/O Right

Does anyone have any experience using R/O Right? I use only R/O water and have readings of about 7.0 Ph, 4 Kh, and 5 Gh. I want to be certain the buffering is present and since over time the Kh will drop I have thought about treating the R/O with a little bit of the product.

Thoughts?

--> .26 Liter light bulb retrofitted to be a tank <--
--> 5000W of incandesent lighting placed 37 yards away <--
--> Direct pipeline from Rio Negro filtered through a carbon infused peat moss tea<--
--> DIY CO2 (hired help for mouth to straw to tank application) <--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 12:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamone
Does anyone have any experience using R/O Right? I use only R/O water and have readings of about 7.0 Ph, 4 Kh, and 5 Gh. I want to be certain the buffering is present and since over time the Kh will drop I have thought about treating the R/O with a little bit of the product.

Thoughts?
What you need is a new source of RO water or better test kits. RO water should have NO kH and gH. And water with a kH of 4 should have a pH of around 7.6-7.8

Water with a kH of 4 has plenty of buffers in it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 01:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

Agree with Rex. If the water is from your own RO unit, it's time to change the membrane. The cheapest and easiest way is to mix your RO water with tap water if you don't want to use any water recharge product (RO right etc). What's wrong with your tap?

Eheim Pimp #21 (2) 2028 and auto feeder

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

The water in my tank is now, after just testing, 6.6 Ph and the Kh is 5. The water I use to fill the tank -- R/O from my LFS -- is Ph 7.0 and Kh 0 / Gh 0 or 1.
My test kit is aquarium pharma.

So, I do really wonder why my Kh has risen from 0 to 5. I understand why my Ph has dropped -- that's because I added CO2 this weekend. But what would give a Kh reading higher than 0? And that makes my tank have ~38mg/l of CO2. That can't be right, can it? DIY CO2 ion 29G?

Here's everything in my tank:
Fish, plants, two pieces of malaysian driftwood, some tetra black water extract, some flourish, and eco complete. Thats all, no carbon.

I guess I don't need to add any r/o right, as I'm getting hardness from somewhere, but I'd sure like this to make sense.

--> .26 Liter light bulb retrofitted to be a tank <--
--> 5000W of incandesent lighting placed 37 yards away <--
--> Direct pipeline from Rio Negro filtered through a carbon infused peat moss tea<--
--> DIY CO2 (hired help for mouth to straw to tank application) <--

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode