New Tank: pH, KH, GH with API Kits - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Tank: pH, KH, GH with API Kits

Hi,

I am a long-time reefer venturing into planteds. My kid wanted some tetras, so I used a spare 10G and bought some Eco-Complete, a Finnex FugeRay Planted+, and a few plants. Since I am used to making salt water, I figured I would do the same for the planted tank, so I used RO/DI 0tds and some Seachem Equilibrium to make some water. After 1 day, my ph is showing at 7.4-7.6 (the high kit says its 7.4- and the low kit says it 7.6+). My GH is 12 and my KH is 3. I have what he LFS said are beginner(ish) plants (Anubia, Java Fern, Micro Sword, Crypt, and Myrio). Based on the water conditions specified for these plants on LiveAquaria, I think I am OK. Reading a few sources online, it looks like I am a little high on the pH, a little low on the KH and at the high end of the range for GH. Are these values more or less OK? Do I need to do anything other than wait for the cycle to finish?

Thanks,

-Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 05:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi Ray,

Welcome to TPT!

The plants you listed should do fine with those water parameters. The Finnex may be a little too much light for that 10 gallon, if the output is adjustable I would start with about 1/2 maximum light and a shorter photoperiod and gradually increase the photoperiod over time. You will need some ferts, Seachem Flourish Comprehensive 3X a week should do the trick. Also adding Seachem Excel once or twice a week will provide a source of carbon for plant growth.

Here is my 10 gallon, with low light, dosed with Seachem Comprehensive and Seachem Excel.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 05:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Everything sounds perfect to me for what you have. The plants are all "low tech" plants so you should be fine there. The anubias and java fern should not be planted in the eco-complete/substrate. Instead, glue (by the rhizome) or tie them to a rock or driftwood. With all of this being said, I'm far from an expert .

Good luck!

Edit: I see someone with much more knowledge than myself responded so you are in very good hands.

Last edited by sdwindansea; 12-29-2016 at 05:03 AM. Reason: prior response at same time

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 05:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Hey Ray, welcome to TPT!

Your parameters should be just fine for those plants, and other than maybe bringing GH down a touch, I'd leave it as is. My parameters are pretty much identical except my GH is 6, and I haven't found a low tech plant that won't grow for me yet

Just as a warning, the FugeRay puts out a lot of light for that height of tank and does not have dimming as far as I know (raising it or using window screen are options). Your micro words and myrio do like medium level lighting (which you'll be well above), but you may have to work at finding the right balance to reduce algae issues.

Lastly, Equilibrium contains potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, and manganese, but you'll still be missing nitrates and phosphates (both can come from fish food and waste), boron, copper, molybdenum, and zinc. Sometimes these minerals come in your tap water, but with RO/DI, you'll be removing all that.

Dry fertilizers are the way to go and will last you a long time. I personally use the EI with CSM+B and GH booster from @nilocg (a forum member here). Here's the full packages on his site: http://nilocg.com/dry-fertilizer/packages/

He's really responsive if you have fertilizer questions, and there are other brands people here use like Green Leaf Aquariums, CO2Art, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice Tank. Got the light on a timer. I forgot to mention I have the Fundamentals pack and the NPK pack for ferts.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
Hey Ray, welcome to TPT!

Your parameters should be just fine for those plants, and other than maybe bringing GH down a touch, I'd leave it as is. My parameters are pretty much identical except my GH is 6, and I haven't found a low tech plant that won't grow for me yet

Just as a warning, the FugeRay puts out a lot of light for that height of tank and does not have dimming as far as I know (raising it or using window screen are options). Your micro words and myrio do like medium level lighting (which you'll be well above), but you may have to work at finding the right balance to reduce algae issues.

Lastly, Equilibrium contains potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, and manganese, but you'll still be missing nitrates and phosphates (both can come from fish food and waste), boron, copper, molybdenum, and zinc. Sometimes these minerals come in your tap water, but with RO/DI, you'll be removing all that.

Dry fertilizers are the way to go and will last you a long time. I personally use the EI with CSM+B and GH booster from @nilocg (a forum member here). Here's the full packages on his site: http://nilocg.com/dry-fertilizer/packages/

He's really responsive if you have fertilizer questions, and there are other brands people here use like Green Leaf Aquariums, CO2Art, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye on the lighting.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode