Deciding on what Fert Method - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Deciding on what Fert Method

I'm trying to decide on what fert method I should go with EI or PPS-Pro. I'm still receiving parts for my CO2 reg setup. The plan is to CO2 inject (3) aquariums - (1) 110g and (2) 55g. I know that they say to do weekly one changes but I know in the beginning I'll be able to do weekly water changes but eventually it won't be realistic. So I'm looking to come up what regime that I could you where I would be able to do water changes every two weeks.

My plan I was thinking maybe I could add the ferts maybe less often and cut the portions down to make adding a week for 2 week water changes to work. I thought I remember seeing on one of these sites that you could do something like this but I can't find it. My 110g I can run a (4) bulb T5 fixture but for the (2) 55g I use (2) bulb shop light fixtures.

Any help is much appreciated!

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2016, 09:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Since you think you can keep up with weekly water changes initially, you can use that period to find out how much you can reduce the dosages without adversely affecting the plants. Start with the dosages per the table. Let the plants grow for 2-3 weeks to see how they do with what you know is plenty of each nutrient. Then reduce the KNO3 dose by about 25%, and watch to see if the plants continue to grow equally well for another week. If they do, reduce the dosage to half the table amount and watch for another week. If they continue to do well, drop the KH2PO4 dosage in half and repeat the observations. If they continue to do well, drop the trace mix dosage in half and and repeat. If they still do well, you can just use half the table amounts, and you should have no problems doing 50% water changes every two weeks. If your plant mass in the tank gets much higher, or if you add CO2, you will want to repeat the above because the plants will be needing a higher dosage then.

The reason for starting with the full dosages is to see what the plants look like when they are not limited in growth by any of the nutrients. This lets you judge what their growth is like when you restrict the amount of nutrients.

Hoppy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks Hoppy as always your so helpful.

I created a chart for both the 55g and 110g.

The plants that I have in the aquariums right now are easy less demanding plants such as vals, ferns, anubias, crypts, mosses, dwarf sag, and swords. I plan on adding more demanding plants as I get more familiar with using ferts and CO2. So I'll have to buy KNO3, KH2PO4, and CSM+B is there any other ferts that I need to buy?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ferts for 55g and 110g.pdf (216.3 KB, 16 views)

55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

-
-

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2016, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
K2SO4 is generally used to supplement extra potassium if needed. I personally use KH2CO3 for potassium, but this is also contingent on using soft water, Aquasoil, and a lean dosing regime.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the replies.

I'm looking to buy a package of dry ferts

2lb KNO3

-1/2lb KH2PO4

-1/2lb K2SO4

-1/2lb CSM+B

Also buy 1/2lb of iron chelate 10%

I don't know how to test for GH or KH.

10g RCS and show guppies

-
-
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 04:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMYukonon24s View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I'm looking to buy a package of dry ferts

2lb KNO3

-1/2lb KH2PO4

-1/2lb K2SO4

-1/2lb CSM+B

Also buy 1/2lb of iron chelate 10%

I don't know how to test for GH or KH.
You can pick up a gh/kh test kit on Amazon and most big box pet stores. Also if you have city water it should be posted on the water report from your local water authority, but your tanks gh/kh may change depending on the materials in it.

Just a noob

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode