Nitrates not registering? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2004, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nitrates not registering?

I just mixed my first batch of KNO3 solution per chucks calculator and added enough to raise my 75 gal aquarium to 5 ppm nitrates from 0 ppm. (In the past I have been using the botanica nitrogen fert by Kent) After doing this I waited a few hours and checked the nitrates again with my seachem nitrate test kit that has been working fine all week. The nitrates were still zero I added the same dose 3 more times while measuring a few hours after adding each dose. It started to read the nitrate but at very low levels. One of the fish began acting stressed out (breathing at the surface) so I did a 30% water change. The fish is back to normal now. I ordered another seachem test kit today as I think this must be the problem. I don't have any ref solution left so I can't check the kit today. I do remember somebody giving a formula to make some ref soln. Has anyone one had a similar experience and does anyone know how to make the ref soln.

Thanks in advance!!
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Rule #1. Never test your test kit in the tank. You should instead dose a bucket to a known level and use that water to test the test kit.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 01:13 AM
BSS
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
You should be able to use Chuck's calculator of figure out how to create a reference solution. I once used it to create a gallon of distilled water with 20 ppm (I believe) of N.

46g bf, XP3 w/ vertical spray bar, CO2 w/ SMS122 & diffuser,100% Flourite, 96w+55w cf AHS, AGA Member

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This is very weird- I just remeasured the NO3 level (5 hours since my last water change)and it is at 10 ppm.--I have not added anything to the water but 1 teaspoon of baking soda. I don't know why the test read so low earlier in the day after I had added the KNO3. I ran the test in the exact same way as I did earlier in the day and used the same test kit. Can kh affect the seachem nitrate test???, Does KNO3 take a long time to diffuse??? what is going on here??
Dave
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 03:43 AM
Algae Grower

I'd say the test kit is probably bad.

I went through the same thing a while back. Tests would be fine one day and weird the next. I was fighting the water and macros because the kits hadn't expired (according to the date). But finally got tired of it and bought a new kit and it is reading consistent. According to a lot of people there are very few reliable NO3 test kits out there.

I'd agree with BSS and mix up a known solution and test it a few times over a couple of days and see if the readings vary. That should tell you right there.

Good luck!

Tom
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 07:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Are you using AP test kit by any chance? I found the first few tests had really low readings. I assume it was because the second reagent was not shaken enough. It was more reliable after the first few tests, but you still need to shake the second bottle REALLY well before each test.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 02:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Clearly stated was the fact that the Seachem test kit is being used.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have both test kits the AP and seachem. I could never tell for sure what shade of color I was looking with the AP. The seachem test kit comes with a ref soln of 10 ppm so you can get a baseline of what color you are deal with at 10 ppm. I think with any test that you have to shake the bottle for a certain time period (like with the AP) you are prone to have a wide margin of error.
Dave

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode