Crushed coral to stabilize pH? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Crushed coral to stabilize pH?

I see another thread on crushed coral here but didn't want to start a conversation in there.

I have a 65 gallon planted tank, low tech, which has been established for years.

Here is my situation - I recently bought some butterfly fish, and one died within the day of putting it into the tank. I've never had this happen before, so I brought it to the store (reputable LFS) and they tested the water and the pH was 5.0!

Out of the tap it is around 7 or just lower. It is also soft, but I haven't tested it in a really long time, so today I'll get a kit and test KH and GH.

My LFS recommended using Seachem Neutral regulator, but I read about issues with phosphates so have only added one dose.
They also recommended crushed coral to keep things more stable over time.

So:
How much coral should I use? I use an Eheim canister filter, I know that I should put the coral in there. But adding little bits at a time would be a challenge because I'd have to drain, open, and reprime the canister every time. How does everyone do this, and at what point do I consider things to be good? I don't need the pH at 7, but 5 is very low.

Has anyone used the Neutral regulator with very soft water? I would assume the problems with phosphates would be amplified for people who have a higher KH and GH?

Has anyone else had this problem and resolved it? A lot of what I read for coral is for people with african tanks who want the pH above the tap water, but I just want my tank water to stay closer to the tap pH, instead of dropping over time.

I have driftwood in it. I had been using Katappa leaves (only one large one in the big tank, also use them in a 10 gallon shrimp tank and 5 gallon betta tank) but just removed them all when I found out about the pH.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I haven't tested it yet but our city's water bureau notes that our water is very soft, which is my recollection when I tested the water way back when I started up this tank. I think it's pretty much nonexistent hardness.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode