Need help with incredibly high KH and PH - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Need help with incredibly high KH and PH

Hello all,

I'm planing on setting up a 20g long planted tank. I have a 5 gallon tank with a couple of tetras (I know, it's bad) Today I decided to test my KH and GH out of curiosity and got readings of:

KH: 300+ ppm
GH:75 ppm
pH: 8.4

I'm new to the idea of planted tanks but I'm pretty sure plants will not survive these parameters, let alone most fish. I do know that my water system runs from a well and is on a salt filtration system. I believe that this is where my problem lies.

My question is, how can I lower my KH to lower pH? Any and all suggestions/theories/ideas are welcomed.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 05:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cremepuff View Post
Hello all,

I'm planing on setting up a 20g long planted tank. I have a 5 gallon tank with a couple of tetras (I know, it's bad) Today I decided to test my KH and GH out of curiosity and got readings of:

KH: 300+ ppm

GH:75 ppm

pH: 8.4

I'm new to the idea of planted tanks but I'm pretty sure plants will not survive these parameters, let alone most fish. I do know that my water system runs from a well and is on a salt filtration system. I believe that this is where my problem lies.

My question is, how can I lower my KH to lower pH? Any and all suggestions/theories/ideas are welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

Mix with ro water. Do a water change with 50% ro water (usually$1 per 5 gallons) and 50% tap/well water and see what you get and go from there. You may need less ro water or more depending on your goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 05:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi Cremepuff,

Welcome to TPT!

It's possible that only the interior faucets are on the water softener system but not the exterior (outdoor) faucets; check the dKH and dGH of the water from your outdoor faucets and see if it is much softer.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi Cremepuff,

Welcome to TPT!

It's possible that only the interior faucets are on the water softener system but not the exterior (outdoor) faucets; check the dKH and dGH of the water from your outdoor faucets and see if it is much softer.

Thank you!

I just checked and it turns out ALL water sources are connected to the softener system. Not only is my house old, but the whole piping system was done wrong, so no raw water source. thanks for the suggestion though!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcooper View Post
Mix with ro water. Do a water change with 50% ro water (usually$1 per 5 gallons) and 50% tap/well water and see what you get and go from there. You may need less ro water or more depending on your goal.

So it's sort of a trail and error type deal? I've found out the majority of the time setting up aquariums tend to be trail and error I'll definitely try it out, just need to find a place that sells it by the gallon (there was a great place in Houston but that was also back when I had a water dispenser)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 02:05 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
You can buy an under the sink RO unit from the hardware store to make your own RO.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 04:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Need help with incredibly high KH and PH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cremepuff View Post
Thank you!

I just checked and it turns out ALL water sources are connected to the softener system. Not only is my house old, but the whole piping system was done wrong, so no raw water source. thanks for the suggestion though!

Bump:

So it's sort of a trail and error type deal? I've found out the majority of the time setting up aquariums tend to be trail and error I'll definitely try it out, just need to find a place that sells it by the gallon (there was a great place in Houston but that was also back when I had a water dispenser)

Here in az every grocery store, gas station has a drinking water dispenser to fill your own containers. Usually $.25 per gallon or 5 for $1.00. Look at your local grocer the next time your out. I would say look at what you want you're kh to be and do the math on how much to dilute your tap water. If you want 150ppm kh then do 50% ro water. If you want 75ppm kh use 75% ro water and so on. You'll want to aim for 3-8 kh German degrees but that's doesn't mean you have to have that. Look up the conversion for ppm to German degrees for kh. I don't remember what it is off hand. I think gh is dividing the ppm by 17 or something and that will give you the German degrees for gh. Quick internet search will give you the answer though. The other persons suggestion of checking the outside faucets was good. Too bad it didn't work out.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode