Types of fertilizers that require dirt and not aquarium substrate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Types of fertilizers that require dirt and not aquarium substrate?

Are there types of fertilizers that require dirt and not aquarium substrate(eco-complete in my case)? Perhaps there is some kind of microbacteria that is required to convert one of the chemicals into plant food?

I know that in hydroponics you have to use special liquid fertilizer and you can't just throw miracle grow in it.

For example, I have accidentally bought Tetra POND LilyGro.

" Derived from Ammonium phosphate, Potassium nitrate, UREA Formaldehyde, Magananese Sulfate, Ferric Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Boric acid, Sodium Molybdate.

Total Nitrogen (N), 10%
Ammoniacal Nitrogen, 5.5%
Nitrate Nitrogen, 2.4%
Water Soluble Nitrogen, 1.5%
Urea Nitrogen, 0.6%
Available Phosphate (P2O5), 14%
Soluble Potash K2O, 8%
Boron (B), 0.02%
Copper (Cu), 0.05%
Water Soluble Copper (Cu), 0.05%
Iron (Fe), 0.11%
Water Soluble Iron (Fe), 0.11%
Manganese (Mn), 0.12%
Water Soluble Manganese (Mn), 0.12%
Molybdenum (Mo), 0.0006%
Zinc (Zn), 0.07%
Water Soluble Zinc (Zn), 0.07%

Is there a reason this would work in a pond but not in an aquarium? Do any of these things require dirt vs Eco-complete substrate( Crushed lava rock)?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 09:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Urea,and ammonia or ammonium (listed ingredient's) as dosed for larger body of water, or found in the planting medium in larger body of water, would not be as concentrated dosed as per direction's than it would/could be in relatively smaller body of water such as an aquarium.
Relatively slow release in dirt application is accelerated in moist /wet dirt,or dosed directly to the water.
Some thing's I might try in plant only tank,I might not try with fishes or other critter's present.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Urea,and ammonia or ammonium (listed ingredient's) as dosed for larger body of water, or found in the planting medium in larger body of water, would not be as concentrated dosed as per direction's than it would/could be in relatively smaller body of water such as an aquarium.
Relatively slow release in dirt application is accelerated in moist /wet dirt,or dosed directly to the water.
Some thing's I might try in plant only tank,I might not try with fishes or other critter's present.
Would this problem show up as a spike in Ammonia ? I have a seachem Ammonia alert badge that does continuous monitoring of ammonia. My tank is 75 gallons.

Other than the amount of these ingredients, they can still be processed by an Aquarium in eco-complete the same as in dirt?

Thanks.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 05:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Yes,ammonia would could rise to toxic level for fishes/shrimps before a water change could be performed, and possibly for a few week's initially.
Would not be something I would use on regular basis mixed into solution for dosing the water with fishes present.
They too produce ammonia,along with possibly uneaten fish food's.
I don't know that anyone could guess at how much of the stuff you mention could be sprinkled onto thin bottom layer of the eco-complete, and then capped with more eco-complete (three inches?)
Much maybe, or what if's, when trying stuff(for terrestrial plants) that although plant's might perform well,,the fishes or other critter's don't.
I have done similar with osmocote flower and vegetable Formula a few times but I plant heavily with fast grower's and normally don't add fishes or shrimp's for first month or two in low tech ,lower light energy tanks that best suit my need's/wishes.
I have loads of cherry shrimp's ,and consider them fairly sensitive so a few of them are placed in the tank first,after the one to two month's I try to wait.
Would maybe not blast the tank with light for first few week's to month or two lest same urea/ammonia mentioned, give rise to algae bloom's which seem to thrive in presence of ammonia/high lighting .
Might also would keep lighting period consistent with straight eight hour photo period for first few week's/month's as well.
Can always increase it slowly as plant mass hopefully performs well and increases in mass.
My two cents.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Yes,ammonia would could rise to toxic level for fishes/shrimps before a water change could be performed, and possibly for a few week's initially.
Would not be something I would use on regular basis mixed into solution for dosing the water with fishes present.
They too produce ammonia,along with possibly uneaten fish food's.
I don't know that anyone could guess at how much of the stuff you mention could be sprinkled onto thin bottom layer of the eco-complete, and then capped with more eco-complete (three inches?)
Much maybe, or what if's, when trying stuff(for terrestrial plants) that although plant's might perform well,,the fishes or other critter's don't.
I have done similar with osmocote flower and vegetable Formula a few times but I plant heavily with fast grower's and normally don't add fishes or shrimp's for first month or two in low tech ,lower light energy tanks that best suit my need's/wishes.
I have loads of cherry shrimp's ,and consider them fairly sensitive so a few of them are placed in the tank first,after the one to two month's I try to wait.
Would maybe not blast the tank with light for first few week's to month or two lest same urea/ammonia mentioned, give rise to algae bloom's which seem to thrive in presence of ammonia/high lighting .
Might also would keep lighting period consistent with straight eight hour photo period for first few week's/month's as well.
Can always increase it slowly as plant mass hopefully performs well and increases in mass.
My two cents.
These are tablets which are the size like an Algae wafer(maybe a little thicker) and are not designed for terrestrial plants but rather a pond(presumable with fish).

They are made to bury underground and provide nutriments for the roots of the plant.

Are you saying that even if I bury it to the bottom of the tank covered with eco-complete it would immediately leach out into the water column?

Maybe used 1 tablet every couple of months? Basically I got them by mistake and don't want to waste them.

I guess if I had to, I could add them to a plant only terrarium or something.

Does the fact that its a tablet( not a power to be sprinkled) and designed for a fish pond(not terrestrial plants) change your mind on using these?

Thanks.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 07:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Sound like root tab's for potted plant's in a pond, but I could not guess as to how much or how many to place in a 75 gal., or how to dilute the stuff from what dose call's for in a pond with many hundred's of gallon's, to a smaller volume of water.
Burying them in substrate will no doubt slow that which can/does leach into water column, and with no fishes /shrimp/snail's,no worries.
Your call.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Sound like root tab's for potted plant's in a pond, but I could not guess as to how much or how many to place in a 75 gal., or how to dilute the stuff from what dose call's for in a pond with many hundred's of gallon's, to a smaller volume of water.
Burying them in substrate will no doubt slow that which can/does leach into water column, and with no fishes /shrimp/snail's,no worries.
Your call.
Yes, sorry if I forgot to mention that. They are pond tablets. They are called " LilyGro" to be exact.

https://www.amazon.com/TetraPond-Lil.../dp/B001L4CSYA

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode