KH2PO4 not detected by Sera Phosphate Test Kit - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
KH2PO4 not detected by Sera Phosphate Test Kit

Hi guys,

I recently bought this KH2PO4 powder. I am trying to achieve 3PPM per 10ML of dosing. I found this calculator from Rotala Butterfly that looks very useful to get the right amount of KH2PO4 in a 500ML container for my 50 Gal tank. According to the calculator, to reach 3PPM every 10ML, i need to add 52.07 grams of KH2PO4 in a 500ML container; which I did.

Rotala Butterfly | Planted Aquarium Nutrient Dosing Calculator

However, I feel a bit dodgy in using the mix because when I did a test using the Sera Phosphate test kit, it found no phosphate in the mix. The result is clear as water.

TEST 1 - I put 10ML of mix in the test tube > add 6 drops of first bottle, shaked > 6 drops of second bottle, shaked > 1 pinch of the powder thing then mixed
RESULT - 0 Phosphate

TEST 2 - I added 5ML aquarium water then 5 ML of the mix in the test tube. Did the exact same step.
RESULT - 0 Phosphate

I mean i'd expected it to be dark blue or something due to the high about of phosphate in the tube.

I am sure the test kit is not expired as the bottom date says, 2018. Also, I tested it with AquaVitro Active P and I managed to get the blue color.

Your advice is highly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 02:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Concentrations well above the range of the rest kit can have some very very screwy results in test kits. I'm assuming that's what you are running into here. I would try dosing the tank, wait an hour or 2 and then test.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode