• 2 Post By BigMek
  • 2 Post By bbroush
  • 2 Post By BigMek
  • 2 Post By bbroush

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I wish to dabble into live plants and want to start with my 180 freshwater which I will be setting back up. I want to start low tech maybe for a year or two until I get enough experience to maybe possibly up my game and move to a more high tech setup.

I wish to start with Anubias, Java Moss, Java Fern, Val and Crypts in a pool filter sand substrate. Do I need to use any base and cap it off with pool filter sand? What recommendation would you suggest for a dry dosing regiment? As discussed I want to stay low tech for at a year to get as much experience as possible.

any feedback????

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-21-2016 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Personally, I'd stick with just PFS. It's simple, grows anything, and has less to deal with (and learn) than capping dirt.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 09:17 AM
Planted Member

I jumped straight into a Walstad-style dirted tank and couldn't be happier. I'm actually growing all those plants with no added dry ferts - just Excel to help fight algae - and everything is chugging along slowly but steadily.

Bit of advice in case you hadn't heard, don't bury the rhizome on anubias or java fern, just superglue it to a piece of rock or something else heavy. That way the rhizomes won't rot and it makes rescapes a breeze. My anubias and ferns were very sad until I unburied them.
bbroush and bbroush like this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMek View Post
I jumped straight into a Walstad-style dirted tank and couldn't be happier. I'm actually growing all those plants with no added dry ferts - just Excel to help fight algae - and everything is chugging along slowly but steadily.

Bit of advice in case you hadn't heard, don't bury the rhizome on anubias or java fern, just superglue it to a piece of rock or something else heavy. That way the rhizomes won't rot and it makes rescapes a breeze. My anubias and ferns were very sad until I unburied them.

Thanks. Could I also tie them with a piece of string. If I go the superglue method what type would be aquarium safe?

I believe I will stick with pool filter sand as I want to keep corys and clown loaches in the future.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
Personally, I'd stick with just PFS. It's simple, grows anything, and has less to deal with (and learn) than capping dirt.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Thanks I am heavy leaning towards that. Any special dosing requirements for these plants? Will the Finnex
planted 24/7 be good enough to grow these plants?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 10:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oval291 View Post
Thanks. Could I also tie them with a piece of string. If I go the superglue method what type would be aquarium safe?
Most superglue that is made of this. I've been using Loctite brand. On the back label, it states that it is "Cyanoacrylate adhesive. But really any that is Cyanoacrylate is aquarium safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 08:51 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:

Seconded. For your plant list and size of tank it will be cheaper and less work to do dirted
Econde and Econde like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 05:42 PM
Planted Member

You could always do a dirt tank and cap it with PFS. I'm actually working on setting up a 29 like that for Khuli loaches
bbroush and bbroush like this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 05:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
You could always do a dirt tank and cap it with PFS. I'm actually working on setting up a 29 like that for Khuli loaches

Or do black diamond blasting sand like @Econde and myself and others. I think more than anything it's a color preference between PFS and BDBS
Econde and Econde like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode