nitrates from the tap - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Sucram Nosiren

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
nitrates from the tap

alright guys so now that im over the osmocote overdose ive got a different problem .. my tap water is testing very high in nitrates here are the results ... left to right -straight tank water - half tank water - straight tap water ... what can i do to fix this?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

meh well i went to walmart got 8 gallons of ro water .. funny they didnt charge me for the 3 gallon bottle or the 5 gallon bottle , somehow it cost me under 1.50 even though it was priced at 35 cents a gallon

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 02:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Be careful with the RO water, you'll need to remineralize it to match your tap/tank water to avoid shocking your fish. If your tap water is very hard already (test GH/KH/TDS, not just pH) you can slowly transition to part RO if you're prepared to keep up the mixing to ensure stable parameters for your fish.

Test the RO water for nitrates also before doing anything, it sounds silly but it's possible that your test is just inaccurate or that you're not fully following the directions (read them closely, make sure to shake the bottles and tubes at least as much as the directions instruct). Check this out: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11...-chemists.html

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i tested it .. also used the tds meter ... ro water came out as 9 uż lol dont know how to make that thing but it had 0 nitrate .. i changed about 18 gallons 10 of that was my tapwater 8 was the ro water ... my tank is 36 gallons .... what could i do to remineralize the water ? i just started pps pro minus the nitrate

oh and my tds dropped from about 750 to about 580 didnt check ph ... its 8.2 before adding co2

water guy came basically told me my test kit was broken ... even though it detected the drop in nitrates when i added ro water

water company came and tested the water .. told me my test kit was bad .. which is odd since it worked a few weeks ago and it detected a drop when i added the ro water ... ohwell .. guess ill have to buy another test kit

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-23-2016 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 09:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucram Nosiren View Post
water company came and tested the water .. told me my test kit was bad .. which is odd since it worked a few weeks ago and it detected a drop when i added the ro water ... ohwell .. guess ill have to buy another test kit

Your API test kit is wrong. Look at seachem or another nitrate test kits. FDA guidelines restrict nitrate in tap water to 10ppm or less. My API test kit said 10-20 ppm out of the tap but when the water tech came and tested it using a light spectrometer or something like that it showed 2.44ppm nitrate out of the tap. If your not adding nitrate look for nitrate deficiencies in your plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcooper View Post
Your API test kit is wrong. Look at seachem or another nitrate test kits. FDA guidelines restrict nitrate in tap water to 10ppm or less. My API test kit said 10-20 ppm out of the tap but when the water tech came and tested it using a light spectrometer or something like that it showed 2.44ppm nitrate out of the tap. If your not adding nitrate look for nitrate deficiencies in your plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i actually just added the nitrate to my pps mix when the water company told me that my nitrate from the tap is only 5 ppm

Willcooper and Willcooper like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode