Equilibrium Packaging - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2004, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
co2
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to co2 Send a message via Yahoo to co2
Equilibrium Packaging

I just got my BigAlsOnline shipment, and this is the first time I have bought Seachem Equilibrium and I have a question... it is very compacted in the container, to the point where it is basically solid. Is this normal?

-Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
co2
Planted Tank Obsessed

Does anybody even use Seachem Equilibrium?

-Craig
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2004, 06:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Did you try breaking it up into powder? It's supposed to be in powdered form.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by co2
Does anybody even use Seachem Equilibrium?

Not here. There are cheaper ways to get my potassium, calcium, and magnesium dosing.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 10:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

Essentially, that's exactly the way I received by Equilibrium from BigAls: a brick. Not supposed to be that way.

Now, where did I leave my mortar & pestle?

James
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 07:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yeah the ones I got from my LFS were like that too. Ithink that it gets moisture in it and that causes it to solidify. No big deal. I hit the container against the corner of a table a few times, then shook it up really good and generally just kept working with it. No large chunks as opposed to the last one I bought when I decided to open up the container and crush it with my scissors.... When you dose it I suggest mixing it with a lot of water and don't be surprised when it makes the water milky. It clears in 24hrs.

I like using this product unlike others.... it's really convienent, I guess because I'm used to using it.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
co2
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaverde
Now, where did I leave my mortar & pestle?
Haha, I knew I shouldn't have thrown mine out.

Thanks for the replies everyone, just wanted to make sure mine wasn't really old. I used Equilibrium for first time this weekend and I like it a lot. I feel way better using 100% RO and not having to trust the tap.

-Craig
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 05:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

My Equilibrium was also hard as a rock. I broke it up with a hammer, but it was still very lumpy so I put it through a sifter, which took quite a long time and wasn't easy.

I stopped using it because it contains a very large amount of potassium - 20% in fact! I dose potassium seperately, so I don't want to be adding it (especially that much) when I raise my gH. It also contains iron and I also dose that seperately.

I switched to Kent Botanica gH+, which is a liquid. It contains only calcium and magnesium.

Some people will use Epsom salts for magnesium and calcium carbonate for calcium, but if my understanding is correct calcium carbonate will raise kH as well and I like to control that seperately.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 11:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

A fellow aquarist who runs a very fast tank (7wpg) and uses traces by the truckload, had some problems related to Equilibrium and potassium dosing which were solved by discontinuing the potassium dosing. I don't dose potassium in addition to Equilibrium, and I'm not sure how necessary it is anyway if N addition is via KNO3.

James
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 06:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypancistrus

I stopped using it because it contains a very large amount of potassium - 20% .
Using the recommended dosage of 1 tablespoon to raise GH 3 degrees in 20 gallons of water will raise the K levels by 65ppm!!! That's a lot of K. I must admit though that in soft water (I can only use my GH4 KH4 water as a reference) it takes less then half of that to raise the GH 3 degrees, so at least in my application it's working out, but needless to say I have stopped dosing K separately. I think too much K was what was causing calcium deficiencies in the first place.

Quote:
I switched to Kent Botanica gH+, which is a liquid. It contains only calcium and magnesium..
I tried this a long time ago ,but it seemed to be "watered down" quite a bit. Seemed like Equilibrium was a better value.

Quote:
Some people will use Epsom salts for magnesium and calcium carbonate for calcium, but if my understanding is correct calcium carbonate will raise kH as well and I like to control that separately.
I've tried this approach and I'd have to disagree about the calcium carbonate raising KH. To test this I took a bucket of tap water (KH3 GH4) and slowly added small amounts of calcium and took GH and KH readings. I let it dissolve well for an hour with a air stone in the bucket to help it dissolve. I noticed the GH climb closer and closer to my target as I added more and more, but never saw a climb in KH. Perhaps with enough it can add to the KH, but at the concentrations I was using it at it did not. Try it for yourself and see.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode