How do you dose EI without doing a water change every week? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By natemcnutty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How do you dose EI without doing a water change every week?

How do you dose EI without doing a water change every week? Water is pretty expensive here wondering if i can go every 2 weeks somehow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 12:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think you must change water. If not the excess nutrient will build up very fast. Ei methods use 50% water change to reset nutrient level.
Example :
I dose 12 ppm of nitrate and do 50% water change per dosing cycle. Theoretically my nitrate will never more than 2 times of a dosing cycle. In this case 24ppm, or lower than 12ppm Given that no other source of nitrate and I just ignore nitrate produced in tank and absorb by plants.

In your case, dosing cycle may last for 2 weeks or more depends on your choice

Sent from my MX4 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 02:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
You could adjust the dosage back some. Have you looked at PPS?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What is pps? I have heard of people that leave their tanks for a couple weeks, what do they do?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
https://sites.google.com/site/aquati...r/home/pps-pro

I would suggest an hour of reading.
You could drastically cut down on water changes with this approach.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 03:33 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Just cut back your dosing by 50% weekly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 09:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
As @Maryland Guppy said, you will have to modify your dosing method, but if you already invested in EI or don't want to switch methods, you really should read Tom's post here about EI and reduced water changes: http://www.barrreport.com/forum/barr...l-modification

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
sdwindansea and sdwindansea like this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 12:40 AM
Algae Grower

EI was always a little difficult to do even with water changes. Not sure what size system you have, but the problem gets worse with a smaller tank.

If you really want a dosing system that works, I'd highly recommend using dry ferts from Green Leaf Aquariums. Invest in some lotion bottles that dispense 2ml per squirt, and use Zorfox plant calculator to make your fertilizer mixes. Still requires about a 50% WC every week, but produces great results. Planted tanks used to make me tear my hair out, but now this system has made it enjoyable.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The problem with ei method is the accuracy of measurement. It use spoon to measure which may not very accurate and consistent as spoon come in all size and shape. Concentration of fert powder may also affected by moisture as some salt tend to combine with water to form hydrated salts. That is why I prepare mixture and dose with dispenser or syringe.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 02:03 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I don't use EI or PPS-Pro. Instead, I measure nitrate, Kh, Gh and PO4 regularly and dose accordingly. KNO3, KPO4, according to test results. I do not measure potassium but dose 5ppm equivalent daily on a medium density planted setup. This is a rate I have worked out after trial and error. At low K levels my crypts start losing leaves and the rate of nitrate uptake goes way down.

CSM-B Plantex - dose solid powder 10 gram per week for 100 gallons tank volume. I have not found this to be critical - it just seems otbe working right now for the past three or so months.

Dolomite sand - dosed to keep GH at the 3-6 level.

Potassium carbonate dosing is adjusted as needed to keep GH and KH in the 2-4 range.

Our water here is really soft (GH=3) so I think that can help avoid having to do more frequent water changes.

I change 20% water every six months. Hope this helps.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 03:19 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use an adjusted formula that Tom Barr recommended for low-tech tanks (non-CO2). I've only just started it, so I can't say anything about its effectiveness yet. Once water parameters stabilize, you should be able to get away with one big cleaning 2x/year.

Per 20g every 1-2 weeks:
KNO3 1/8tsp
KH2PO4 1/32tsp
GH Booster 1/4tsp
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 02:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefengineer92 View Post
EI was always a little difficult to do even with water changes. Not sure what size system you have, but the problem gets worse with a smaller tank.

If you really want a dosing system that works, I'd highly recommend using dry ferts from Green Leaf Aquariums. Invest in some lotion bottles that dispense 2ml per squirt, and use Zorfox plant calculator to make your fertilizer mixes. Still requires about a 50% WC every week, but produces great results. Planted tanks used to make me tear my hair out, but now this system has made it enjoyable.
I don't understand where you're going here. EI doesn't depend on a certain brand of fertilizer. You're overdosing all ferts and resetting with a water change. It sounds like you're doing EI. What is different? I've dissolved my ferts in water and dosed the liquid too. It's still EI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wong View Post
The problem with ei method is the accuracy of measurement. It use spoon to measure which may not very accurate and consistent as spoon come in all size and shape. Concentration of fert powder may also affected by moisture as some salt tend to combine with water to form hydrated salts. That is why I prepare mixture and dose with dispenser or syringe.

The upside of EI is accuracy is not that important. And as you noted, diluting the ferts so you can use larger measurements solves that issue. The other option is to invest in a gram scale. (less than $10)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode