PH parameters and shrimp deaths - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By natemcnutty
  • 2 Post By Fissure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have had a problem lately with shrimp stressing or passing away after water changes. I am assuming that it is PH shock. I have a 6 gallon fluval edge, heavily planted with supplemental CO2 at 3 bubbles every 2 seconds. The drop checker gives a reading of good CO2 levels. Nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia are not detected. However my other parameters don't make sense. Tap
DKH = 4
DGH = 8
PH = 7.4

Aquarium
DKH = 6
DGH = 12
PH = 6.0

i do weekly water changes of 3/4 gallon. I try to add the water back over a 5-10 minute period.
I don't understand how my PH can be so low with that height a GH and KH
I live in central Ohio. According to the utility website the only contributor to water hardness is calcium carbonate from limestone.

I do add 3cc of leaf zone by API weekly

Ain't Nature Grand!
Thom

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-10-2016 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
You are injecting 1.5 bps in a 6 gallon tank - this will lower your pH considerably. Take some tank water out, let it sit for 2 days, and then do a pH test on it.

Also, no nitrates on a heavily planted tank is something you need to check on. You should shoot for 5-10ppm for more delicate shrimp or 10-20ppm for things like Cherries and Amanos

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Nlewis and Nlewis like this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Values

Thank you for responding. I re-tested the nitrate and nitrite. Nitrate is at 20ppm nitrite 0ppm. I pulled out the water and will let you know what PH is after 48 hours.

Ain't Nature Grand!
Thom

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 03:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The different PH from the tap should not be an issue. Do 50% wc every week and my tap is 8.1 and my tank is 5.8. What could be a bigger problem is the GH perhaps. I am guessing you have a substrate or some kind of decoration releasing minerals in your water.
natemcnutty and natemcnutty like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you

Thank you for the responses. After letting water sit out of the aquarium for 48 hours my PH is 8. I have tourned CO2 down to 1 bps and retest the Ph. I have 2 rocks I thought where inert but will take them out. And replace them with something that will not add to water hardness. I think you both where spot on with your advice. ThanKYou.

Ain't Nature Grand!
Thom

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode