1Likes
  • 2 Post By DMtankd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2, green drop checker only if CO2 on overnight

Hello!

I've been playing around with my CO2 since staying it a few months ago. What's very confusing to me now is that my drop checker is green only if I leave the CO2 on overnight. I'm not able to come up with a reasonable explanation for this so I'm reaching out for help.

This is a 40B, medium planted, in tank diffuser, with a power head for circulation. I'm at 1bps and I do EI dosing. Lighting needs to be improved but it currently is a finnex planted+ 24/7. I'm still battling a little bit of hair algae but it's getting progressively better (assumption is due to increasing plant density).

I'd like to be able to turn off co2 at night if possible. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 02:58 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
CO2 escapes from the surface of the water into the air. You need to inject more CO2 than the amount that is escaping to increase the level in the water. When you turn the CO2 off at night, the CO2 that's built up in the water all escapes into the air.

BPS is not a standard measure (your bubble could be twice as big as my bubble) - but broadly speaking, 1 BPS sounds low for a 40B. It's likely that you're not injecting enough CO2 and the only way to get the CO2 level up is to keep injecting it throughout the night - so it builds up by morning when your plants begin to consume it. You probably need to increase the bubble rate. Again, not really a good comparison, but in my 40B I got to around 4 BPS before I stopped being able to count bubbles...and have increased it since then.

Increase your CO2 gradually and watch your fish for signs of stress. Also, know that the drop checker has a very slow response time (it won't turn yellow until 1-2 hours after you've gotten into unsafe territory).
helecho and helecho like this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks so much for your answer! I went ahead and increased the bubble count (I use a carbon doser regulator) and my drop checker is finally green without being on overnight. I'm planning to increase it a tiny bit every day and watch my fish carefully until I can optimize it .

I also finally read the water report for my area and I'm not surprised to see the TDS and kH are pretty high! I'm going to try and go with the blind faith, EI approach now that my tank is almost heavily planted and just watch everything. At least it seems like I'm slowly but surely winning this algae battle!

Thanks!

kuhli loaches: making everything possible into hammocks

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If your drop checker is green why do you want to increase it further?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm just trying to get rapid growth on my plants and I've also read that algae can be a side effect of CO2 that is too low. The well being of my fishy friends is always the most important thing so if I do increase it from here it'll be in very small increments and actively monitoring for signs of stress.

Right now everyone in there is extremely happy and it is a joy to watch the tank mature .

Please excuse me if any of my thoughts seem inadequate, I'm still a newbie! My first tank (low tech 20G) is only about 1 year old and this second tank (high tech 40B) is only about 3 months old kickstarted with media from the 20G.

I just want to learn and improve so that all the fish and plants in both tanks can thrive!

kuhli loaches: making everything possible into hammocks
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 03:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sounds like a good plan. Just wanted to say that if your drop checker is a nice light green there really is no need to further increase the CO2. A better idea would be to further increase flow etc

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode