N vs NO3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By rhiro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
N vs NO3

In regards to nitrogen I notice a lot of the forum discussions mentions ppm concentrations for NO3. However when I review the ingredient contents of various liquid fertilizers they only list available N. In regards to EI and PPS I see both listed. Would anyone be able to explain if there is any difference in how aquarium plants use N and NO3? Is one more important than the other? When comparing EI vs a commercial liquid fertilizer should I convert NO3 to the appropriate N ppm concentration? I guess the same question can be asked for P and PO4.
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 06:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fertilizers usually list the concentration of Nitroven, Phosphorus and Potassium in a formula (NPK). In this formula they use a conventional system in which they list each ingredient as a percentage in weight of N, P205 and K2O. Now, the elements are not actually in that form, it is just a conventional way of presenting this values so you can compare more easily between two different fertilizers without having to make conversions.
The main sources for Nitrogen in fertilizers are Ammonia (NH3), Ammonium Nitrate (NH4NO3) and Urea (CH4N2O).

After all this, here is the only piece of information you probably care about, sorry if I got too technical: pure NO3 contains 22.5% of nitrogen. This can be easily calculated for any formula, using the molecular weight of the elements in a Periodic Table.

I am not familiar with this EI fertilizer, and I am fairly new to aquarium plants so I can't really comment on that.

When it comes to the forms of nitrogen that the plants can use, they are Ammonium (NH4) and Nitrate (NO3). For non aquatic plants there are environmental situations where you might want to use one or another. And, it is not clear to me if one form is easier for plants to absorb, the literature lists some plants that can absorb one form better while others prefer the other form.

I hope this information helps, even though my experience with aquarium plants and the products used is very limited.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 07:50 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Nitrogen doesn't exist alone (N).. Nitrogen in air is N2, the most abundant gas but plant can't use it directly because the N bond is so strong so it uses NO3 or NH4 etc.. instead.

You can use online ferts or apps calculators that figures (N) for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-03-2016, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Thank you to Jardiamj and mistergreen. After doing research on molecular weights and some basic math I realized I was interpreting the results from the calculators incorrectly. Gives me a totally different perspective on my dosing regime.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode