Where to place root tabs? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Where to place root tabs?

So I recently bought some osmocote plus and gel capsules to make home made root tabs, and was wondering whats the most effective way to use them? Some people have been saying place root tabs directly under the plant you want to fertilize (such as an amazon sword) and others say don't place them directly under the plants as they can burn their roots? Also where osmocote plus is supposed to last 6 months, does that mean i only replace it every 6 months or do i still need to replace it roughly every month like i had to do with the fluorish tabs?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 03:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
put them under the substrate.. i dont think u need to replace them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 04:02 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muntaseer View Post
put them under the substrate.. i dont think u need to replace them

Anyway, according to Amazon, you can replace them after 3 months.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01F5...ocote+capsules

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 04:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I think you will eventually have to add more since it will run out of nutrients.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 04:17 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Also, the replacement every 2-3 is for size 00 capsules, the amount you use and how often you replace them may be different if you have different sized capsules.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 09:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yappycat View Post
So I recently bought some osmocote plus and gel capsules to make home made root tabs, and was wondering whats the most effective way to use them? Some people have been saying place root tabs directly under the plant you want to fertilize (such as an amazon sword) and others say don't place them directly under the plants as they can burn their roots? Also where osmocote plus is supposed to last 6 months, does that mean i only replace it every 6 months or do i still need to replace it roughly every month like i had to do with the fluorish tabs?

Thanks!
The Osmocote is a time release fertilizer and the general rule of thumb is to add more about every 4 months if needed. You can place them directly under the plant, it will not burn the roots. Keep in mind, you don't want to go bonkers and sticking them all over your tank in tight groupings, too much of a lot of fertilizer can cause you some issues. When I used them before with a heavily planted tank I would place them in a 4 inch grid around the tank.

Just a noob

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 05:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Also, make sure to bury them as deep as possible. If you do them too shallow, they will leach into your water column easier and will not last as long. This is especially an issue for Osmocote based tabs as this will cause an ammonia spike.

One last thing to note is that the capsule will remain in the substrate, so eventually you may have to pull a few out from where you want to put new ones.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode