Is it possible to not need C02 based on your PH and KH readings? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By jrill
  • 2 Post By 691175002

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is it possible to not need C02 based on your PH and KH readings?

As the majority of you know there is a direct correlation between your PH and your KH readings. When you have them both just right should indicate enough C02 is present in the water. Is it possible to obtain this without C02? I am curious because my readings are close and only require minimal PH reduction in order to get to the sweet spot for c02.

Any help appreciaated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 08:30 PM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you are using anything to bring pH down, like peat moss, chemicals, tannis the chart won't work. Actually it's more or less worth nothing, it assumes we have "clean" water, anything that changes pH without changing KH will make the chart irrelevant.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 120x48x60 cm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 08:31 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by easttech View Post
As the majority of you know there is a direct correlation between your PH and your KH readings. When you have them both just right should indicate enough C02 is present in the water. Is it possible to obtain this without C02? I am curious because my readings are close and only require minimal PH reduction in order to get to the sweet spot for c02.

Any help appreciaated?
No

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Hoppy and Hoppy like this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There is no way to reliably infer CO2 concentration from pH and kH readings. The tables assume that your water only contains CO2 and a pure base such as CaCO3.

In practice the substrate, driftwood, decomposing matter, etc all contribute organic acids and buffers which influence pH. If your tank contains nothing but inert rock and is spotlessly clean, the table can be usable. Otherwise use a drop checker.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode