Has my tank lost its cycle? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Has my tank lost its cycle?

Please let me know if I am missing any pertinent information or if this is the wrong forum to post this in.

I normally test my tanks every week before I do a water change.

Last week I tested the nitrates on my 55 gallon tank and the nitrates were 5 ppm. I didn't test for ammonia or nitrites because I figured I didn't have to on a cycled tank. I was testing the nitrates because I wanted to make sure the water quality was fine for the tetras that are new to our tank.

This morning I tested the water because I noticed something suspicious on one of the tetras and wanted to be able to give water parameters in the post.

I was so surprised to find 0 nitrates. It's possible that there are nitrates but the color was more yellow than orange so if there are nitrates,the amount is barely noticeable.

There are a few plants in the tank but I don't think it's enough to absorb the nitrates. Did I lose my cycle? I'm hoping I haven't so I'm thinking of not doing a water change this week.

Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0?
ph - 7.4

55 gallon tank
Livestock: 20 neon tetras, 2 panda garra, 5 zebra danios
Plants: small anubia, large anubias, small/medium Java fern, 1 small Windelov Java fern, 1 medium Amazon sword (or maybe Argentine- can't remember)
Filtration - Marineland 350 Biowheel Filter (can't think of the exact name)

Random information: 10 neon tetras added 11/12/16
12 neon tetras added 11/19/16
1 neon tetra found dead 11/21/16
1 danio and 1 neon tetra found dead 11/23/16
I didn't test the water on those two days unfortunately. I wish I had though.

I will try to edit this post to upload a pic of my tank.
I will post a separate thread to figure out what's going on in my tank.

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 06:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Did you retest? I assume that you used the aquarium pharmaceuticals test. One little thing that isn't perfect, and the whole yet is skewed.
The fact that you also have 0 NH3 and NO2 tells me you didn't lose the nitrifying bacteria.
You have a fairly light bioload, so perhaps your plants are taking up all nitrates.

Neons can be a little delicate when first introduced, so if you just got them, a couple dead out of 12 doesn't seem like anything fully out of the ordinary. The Danio is a little different though.

What is the "suspicious" thing on the neon?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 06:23 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviine View Post
Please let me know if I am missing any pertinent information or if this is the wrong forum to post this in.

I normally test my tanks every week before I do a water change.

Last week I tested the nitrates on my 55 gallon tank and the nitrates were 5 ppm. I didn't test for ammonia or nitrites because I figured I didn't have to on a cycled tank. I was testing the nitrates because I wanted to make sure the water quality was fine for the tetras that are new to our tank.

This morning I tested the water because I noticed something suspicious on one of the tetras and wanted to be able to give water parameters in the post.

I was so surprised to find 0 nitrates. It's possible that there are nitrates but the color was more yellow than orange so if there are nitrates,the amount is barely noticeable.

There are a few plants in the tank but I don't think it's enough to absorb the nitrates. Did I lose my cycle? I'm hoping I haven't so I'm thinking of not doing a water change this week.
No, you probably didn't loose your cycle. Your plants probably absorbed the nitrates. Loosing your cycle would mean that all the bacteria (or the vast majority of them) all at one time. So unless you changed all your filter media and vacuumed your gravel at the same time the tank is probably still good. One thing that can happen when you add new fish is, there are not quite enough bacteria to handle the extra load, but given your current water conditions I doubt that's the case.
Symptoms of an un-cycled tank would be a spike in Ammonia followed by a spike in nitrites. You have neither so I think you are fine in that regard.

Your PH of 7.4 might be an issue for the neon tetras. Neon tetras prefer more acidic(PH of 6.5-7) not basic water. I would also check for diseases, that could be your problem as well.
Good Luck!

Last edited by fishman922; 11-27-2016 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Clarity

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

This is a picture of my tank. Definitely not heavily planted.

I have a video of my fish but not a photo. I couldn't get a good shot.

The fish's fin is clamped back with white on the fin. This the first time I'm noticing it but not sure how I could have missed that.

I wasn't concerned about the dead neons but thought the dead danio was cause for concern.

As a result, we aren't going to add anymore fish and are considering the whole tank in quarantine.

I did the nitrate test three times making sure to tap and shake each time. (API)

Edited to add that the LFS that I got the neons from told me they keep the neons at a similar pH. But I didn't have them test in front of me to confirm/verify.

These are the best photos I could take with my iPhone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1480279279938.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	694354  

Name:	image_1480280432741.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	694362  

Name:	image_1480280460433.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	694370  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-27-2016 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 08:36 PM
Algae Grower

The photos are not quite good enough for me to see the white film clearly. But my guess would be a fungal infection.

Check around to forums for fungal infection advice. Hopefully someone with experience will be able to answer, I have never had a fungal infected fish (6+ yrs of experience). I hope to keep it that way... I know what it looks like but not how to treat it. Are the neon's still eating?

Your plants look happy/ growing so it's not unreasonable to think they took the nitrates out.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode