Nitrite test tube changes overnight. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Nitrite test tube changes overnight.

Alright so, I am still currently cycling my 10 gallon betta tank. Ammonia drops to 0 over night and Nitrite readings are off the charts. So I proceed to change the water out to drop the Nitrite levels back under 1PPM. Several hours later, after the water change, Nitrites read about .25 PPM on the API master kit and is clearly a light purple. I left my test kit still filled out and when I checked this morning, the purple turned to blue? I shook it up and it was still blue. I retested my tank water for Nitrites and now its off the charts again.

Tank is about medium planted, 2x13 watt CFL(daylight), Aquatech 5-15 filter, substrate is miracle grow organic potting soil capped with blasting sand. Been "cycling" for 2 and a half weeks now, with seeded media from my other tank.

So what do you guys think I should do? Continue to do partial water changes to get nitrites level down? Is it safe to assume that the soil is leeching out ammonia hence why my nitrites are off the charts all the time? Has anyone else seen their test kit act this way? I haven't added ammonia in several days. This is my first dirted tank as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired

Last edited by Econde; 11-22-2016 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Added a question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Most of the test kits are only stable for a short while so the reading should only be taken after the set period that the manufacterer stated and after that ignored. But most likely your substrate are still leaching lots of ammonia. One would think that the process would be faster though since you are using run in media from your other tank. Keep doing WCs and it should eventually go down. Don't think anything is wrong...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fissure View Post
Most of the test kits are only stable for a short while so the reading should only be taken after the set period that the manufacterer stated and after that ignored. But most likely your substrate are still leaching lots of ammonia. One would think that the process would be faster though since you are using run in media from your other tank. Keep doing WCs and it should eventually go down. Don't think anything is wrong...
Makes sense. I will keep up with the daily partial water changes followed by tests a couple hours later. I can only assume that its still leeching out ammonia since the nitrites are always high even with the partial water changes. Well looks like this will be a waiting game for now. I really want to get a betta soon haha.

20g Long -Retired
10g Betta tank -Retired
1.1 Gallon Vase -Retired

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode