Lowering ph with peat - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jcgd
Lowering ph with peat

I have a 25 gallon with an ehiem canister for filtration which houses 5 rams. I want to lower the ph from 6.9 to about 6? (I think that is a good ph for rams)with peat. How much peat do you reccomend I add, and where should I put it? Also, where do I get the peat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 10:22 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
What kind of rams are you trying to raise/breed? What's your KH and GH at currently? A pH of 6.9 isn't bad at all for keeping rams and depending on your KH, you wouldn't have to bring the pH down (especially all the way down to 6.0), by using peat. Adding CO2 can drive the pH down also.

You can place the peat inside one of the media baskets of the Eheim w/some floss. Peat is pretty cheap at the garden center if you know what you're looking for. The amount to be added depends on what your water is out of the tap versus the general area that you're trying to drop it to.

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 11:00 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use fluval peat granuals in a media bag. It comes in a box for about 12-16 bucks. I just added a little and went with it, I have not tested ph yet. it does have directions but they are not very clear. You could just add co2 but its not always stable. I here the granuals are really good compared to the normal peat. good luck.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 01:16 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to pjhaddock Send a message via MSN to pjhaddock Send a message via Yahoo to pjhaddock
I have the granuals from Fluval and tried them before I went planted and CO2 as my PH is almost 8 out of the tap. It seemed to take alot of it and did not seem to ever last that long. Buying it in the garden store would be much cheaper, just gotta know what to get and I am not sure what that is, I dont use it anymore...

Philip

Eheim Pimp Member #79

75 Gallon
2 54W T5HO, 1 6500K, 1 5000K, each driven at 64W
2 32W T8, 1 10000K, 1 Damar Plant Grow, each 64W
Total light = 256W
100% Black Beauty Coal Slag Substrate
Ebo-Jager 250W Heater
Rena XP3 Canister Filter
5lb Pressurized CO2 W/Milwaukee Regulator, Bubble Counter, Solenoid, and Needle Valve, DIY Inline CO2 Reactor
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
While lowering pH with peat will work it's not really an exact science. Best thing to do is make a very strong peat tea and add that to the tank. Also many captive bred Rams will breed at a higher pH than you think. I have had them breeding at a pH of around 6.8 with no problems.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

My kh and gh are about 1 degree and the ph is about 6.9. They have bred once for me (3 days after I got them). But none hatched. Before I go crazy with peat I will let them try a few more times because someone metioned from a pic that the eggs didn't look fertilized. He said to let them try more to see if the male is new at it or infertile before I mess with anything.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2004, 08:29 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

With those values and the fact that your rams are breeding for you, there's really no reason for you to be dropping the pH at all (the water is soft as is and the pH is fine).

I wouldn't worry about the pair right now. From those pics, it looks like you have a pair, and it's a matter of time before you have viable frys. They'll go through a few batches before it'll happen, but I'll wouldn't change anything for the moment being (especially w/the water chemistry). Recondition them and just sit back and enjoy.

Eric

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2004, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Okay. I guess I'll try that. I added a bit of peat but now I'm just using it to get the coloring of the water. Plus it might drop the ph a tid bit.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 07:19 AM
Algae Grower

I read that peat actually filters out some nutrients that are beneficial to plants. Also, and I am no expert here, but with such a low kh, I would expect your Ph to be very vulnerable to crashing. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

--> .26 Liter light bulb retrofitted to be a tank <--
--> 5000W of incandesent lighting placed 37 yards away <--
--> Direct pipeline from Rio Negro filtered through a carbon infused peat moss tea<--
--> DIY CO2 (hired help for mouth to straw to tank application) <--
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 04:22 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

Peat isn't a filter and hence wouldn't filter out any nutrients. It has to do more with bonding of certain chemicals and if used correctly in the release of others which are beneficial to the plants.

The KH is very low there and that's one reason why I suggested that there doesn't need to be any changes to the water (that water is more than adequate for breeding rams). It'll be interesting to see what his GH is also.

For coloring of the water, just using a piece of driftwood would do.

Eric

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
hi......one quart per 25 gallons is what i use.....my rams breed like mad....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode