How should i mix these ferts to create a good mix? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How should i mix these ferts to create a good mix?

Can you tell me if i could mix something good up, and how?...

I have some nitrate powder...

Potassium Nitrate Powder - KNO3 - 5 Lbs.

some KH2PO4 powder...

[Ebay Link Removed] Plant Nutrient Mono Potassium Phosphate KH2PO4 - For Every Planted Aquarium | eBay[/url]

some Tetra FloraPride...

[Ebay Link Removed] Tetra FloraPride Plant Fertilizer, 8.45-Ounce, 250-Ml...Free Ship New | eBay[/url]

and some Equilibrium powder...

Seachem - Equilibrium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 04:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmike1975 View Post
Can you tell me if i could mix something good up, and how?...

I have some nitrate powder...

Potassium Nitrate Powder - KNO3 - 5 Lbs.

some KH2PO4 powder...

[Ebay Link Removed] Plant Nutrient Mono Potassium Phosphate KH2PO4 - For Every Planted Aquarium | eBay[/url]

some Tetra FloraPride...

[Ebay Link Removed] Tetra FloraPride Plant Fertilizer, 8.45-Ounce, 250-Ml...Free Ship New | eBay[/url]

and some Equilibrium powder...

Seachem - Equilibrium

If you are trying to mix all these together to make one big magic potion, it's probably not the best idea.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Really? You wouldn't use any of those in an aquarium?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 04:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Really? You wouldn't use any of those in an aquarium?
No im saying it's better for you to not mix them all together. By mixing them together you won't be able to make adjustments to the individual fertilizers.

You can use the Rotala Butterfly calculator to figure out the amounts needed to make individual solutions or you can dose them dry. The Rotala calculator is not working for some reason right now.

http://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Nlewis; 11-15-2016 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Edit
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! I'm in a situation in which a photos vine has got the nitrates too low (might get more fish, but until then), I suspect everything needs a boost (am thinking the low nutrients is causing plant stress and some opportunistic algae growth), was wondering how these could be mixed, or should I just use the nitrate powder?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 05:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thanks! I'm in a situation in which a photos vine has got the nitrates too low (might get more fish, but until then), I suspect everything needs a boost (am thinking the low nutrients is causing plant stress and some opportunistic algae growth), was wondering how these could be mixed, or should I just use the nitrate powder?
Don't you have a test kit? If you don't, that's where you should start.

Just a noob

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 12:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
There's not an easy one size fits all answer. You should go here http://https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11-fertilizers-water-parameters/184531-fertilizer-water-parameters-faq.html. It's the sticky at the top of this forum (Fertilizer and water parameters) Your going to have to do a little reading and decide how you want to add the nutrients. There are several methods/ideologies. I lot is going to depend on your setup, lights, co2, livestock, fauna, water changes, goals and your inclination towards maintenance and upkeep. Basically more light, more fertilizer equals faster growth and a lot more work. I'm not completely familiar with all the stuff you got, but it looks like you've got the macro ferts covered but will probably need to get some micro (basically a mix of several trace minerals). If that doesn't make sense it should after you browse some of the stiky's and FAQ's.

As far as mixing them together, as Nlewis said, don't. You want to keep them separate so you can adjust the dosage of the individual ferts. I hardly ever add nitrates, but I need a full dose of everything else. I only mix single doses for a week at a time in a weekly pill dispenser. 2 different mixes, macro on 1 day, micros on the next.

I dry dose the powders directly into the tank. Others mix with distilled water, but generally you have to do 2 different mixes and usually refrigerate them.

Last edited by Kubla; 11-19-2016 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Can't quit blathering!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode