PPS Method: I screwed up big time! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
This tank has been cycled about 3 months now and while I understand that algae is common in new tanks, I couldn't understand why I was getting so much so often. I was doing 50% W/C every week religiously using a 75/25 RO/Tap mix and I also had a cleanup crew of 11 Nerites, 2 Ottos, and some Amano Shrimp. They did a great job but no sooner would they clean an area that it would be back the next day. I was pulling my hair out.

Then I read over the PPS instructions again today and read something I had missed before. The dosing schedule is based on, "a heavily planted tank"! What?! So I continued reading about testing for NO3 and PO4. The instructions mentioned NO3 around 20PPM while mine yesterday was 80 PPM! I have just 8 clippings in my tank I bought from a fellow forum member. They total probably 30" linear. I'm so pissed at myself for not seeing this.

So my question is how do I determine what I actually need for my tank? Maybe cut it to 1/4 of the normal dose and then test until I'm around 20 ppm of NO3? Strangely, the PO4 is at zero. I did put some Purigen in the tank recently to remove come brown color from the driftwood. I'm wondering if it could also be removing other things.

Anyway, I thought I would mention this in case someone else runs into the same thing. It was driving me crazy and it was such a dumb mistake.

I tested again tonight and NO3 was just 10. I don't get it. The other problem I'm having is that according to API, my PO4 is at zero and has been every time I've tested it. Wth is going on?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-15-2016 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 05:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I've never used the PPS PRO style of dosing so I can't help you there. I can however tell you that there's a very good chance that the Eco-Complete you have is soaking up the ferts you are dosing.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 12:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's a pretty flaky dosing system, for sure. I've used a PPS Pro dosing mix for the last couple of years, and throttle it based off nitrate levels. On my extremely heavily planted 90 that works out to 3ml/solution every other day. I feed a fair amount of frozen food without draining it first too, which is going to be adding nitrates for sure. I still have BBA, so not a perfect system by any means (on my part).

I use pure RO for changes, which are no more than 10 gal a week on a 110 gal system (90 + 20 sump). Stocking is 9 brochis, couple dozen pygmy cories, 40+ otos, couple hundred shrimp and a farlowella.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamTill View Post
It's a pretty flaky dosing system, for sure.
Define "flaky" for me. Is PPS not a well adopted dosing regime? I mean, EI is of course the one I hear about the most but I thought a lot of people use PPS. Thanks for the thoughts on Eco-Complete though. I have read that it begins empty in a sense and absorbs everything around it but I would assume that at least some would stay in the water column. If I had to do it over again, I would have spared the expense for the ADA soil or equivalent.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 10:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
EI is just a much easier system. You are essentially flooding the water column with a somewhat excess amount of ferts where the PPS system you trying almost to get the exact amount of ferts needed for your aquarium.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlewis View Post
EI is just a much easier system. You are essentially flooding the water column with a somewhat excess amount of ferts where the PPS system you trying almost to get the exact amount of ferts needed for your aquarium.
Not sure about that. The PPS-Pro doesn't try to get close at all. Same thing. Dose large amounts and do a 50% w/c each week. Maybe you are referring to the regular PPS Classic.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 12:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsTank View Post
Define "flaky" for me. Is PPS not a well adopted dosing regime? I mean, EI is of course the one I hear about the most but I thought a lot of people use PPS. Thanks for the thoughts on Eco-Complete though. I have read that it begins empty in a sense and absorbs everything around it but I would assume that at least some would stay in the water column. If I had to do it over again, I would have spared the expense for the ADA soil or equivalent.
By flaky I mean I have no idea how people don't bomb their tanks using 1mL solution/10 gal/day. My nitrates would be off the charts if I did that, and I have extremely heavy submerged AND riparium growth. Lots of water changes I guess, but still..

I should be fair though, it works for a lot of people.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode