Anyone used a 2-stage filter to remove nitrates from well water like this? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By thedood

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anyone used a 2-stage filter to remove nitrates from well water like this?

We have well water. I tested it for NitrItes before starting this tank, and then face palmed after we were all set up. I had meant to test for NitrAtes. So, we have nitrates: no big surprise. SIGH!

We don't have room for an RO/DI storage tank in any convenient (or frost free) place in our home (no basement), nor do I plan to lug 60 gallons of water per week upstairs to where the tank is. I've been surfing and looking for an alternative, and last night I stumbled on what looks like a plausible solution:

Many Hats of Me: Aquarium Water Change System

He's using a 2-stage filter, but not specifically for nitrate removal. He's more interested in TDS and chlorine. But, I've searched and found these systems:

I'm thinking I might be able to adapt this one to his plumbing plan: Crystal Quest Countertop Replaceable Double Nitrate PLUS Water Filter System | Water Softeners Filters

Tanks a bunch!

My current 120 tank journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Marcia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 06:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
The plants in your tank are the best nitrate filter you could have. Your plants require nitrates so unless the nitrates in your water are off the chart I personally would not worry about it.

75G Seachem Flourite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

They're testing at 20ppms out of the tank. Yesterday, they were testing at 80ppm in the tank and I did a 50% water change without a noticable drop.

If one searches the Internet, one comes up with such a wide disparity of what is "okay" for fish. What's your opinion?

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 06:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Personally I stopped testing nitrates. Unless you are calibrating your test kit or have a kit that is extremely high quality then there is a good chance your numbers are wrong. If your fish are healthy, showing no signs of stress, are eating well, and active I wouldnt worry. You can always add more plants .
Tanks! and Tanks! like this.

75G Seachem Flourite

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Sounds like a plan. I have new Cories; they're the ones I'm most concerned about.

Thanks for the input!

Tanks a bunch!

Marcia
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 11:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanks! View Post
They're testing at 20ppms out of the tank. Yesterday, they were testing at 80ppm in the tank and I did a 50% water change without a noticable drop.

If one searches the Internet, one comes up with such a wide disparity of what is "okay" for fish. What's your opinion?
If you had 80ppm in the tank and you changed 50% with 20ppm water and the tank still measured 80ppm one or more of your tests are wrong.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 06:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanks! View Post
Opinion here is (assuming you are using an API test kit)
Yellow = Add more ferts
Orange = All is well
Red = Change some water.

Too difficult to differentiate between shades of orange and red.

Growing is not that difficult.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode