Understanding ph/kh and co2 levels - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Understanding ph/kh and co2 levels

So let me start by saying that I'm about 8 months into using pressurized co2 and I never looked into the correlation between co2 ppm and kh. I've always been under the impression that I should be shooting for about a one point drop in ph to achieve roughly 30ppm of co2. I just stumbled upon a co2 calculator on Rotala Butterfly and the co2/ph/kh table on the Barr Report. Looking at the chart, my understanding of it shows that I only need around a .2 drop in ph to achieve 30ppm of co2. The baseline ph of my water is 6.8 and at peak co2 my ph is around 5.9 and with my kh of 4 this shows me as having a co2 ppm of over a 120, is this possible?

I know you really want to have your co2 levels to be non-limiting, but is there a point where it is too high in regards to how plants react? With it being too high can this cause an imbalance within the aquarium?

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 03:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Hey,

The KH/pH table is an estimation. It breaks down at times because there are things other than CO2 that can affect the pH of your water.

If your fish seem fine, then I doubt your CO2 is 120. I suppose if you have a heavily planted tank your plants could be producing enough oxygen that a higher CO2 is not an issue, but that seems pretty unlikely.

How are you testing your pH? What is the source of your water? Well or city?

If your fish seem fine and your plants are pearling and happy, you should be OK. I'm sure others will have better suggestions. Might be worth trying a drop checker.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Belton View Post
Hey,

The KH/pH table is an estimation. It breaks down at times because there are things other than CO2 that can affect the pH of your water.

If your fish seem fine, then I doubt your CO2 is 120. I suppose if you have a heavily planted tank your plants could be producing enough oxygen that a higher CO2 is not an issue, but that seems pretty unlikely.

How are you testing your pH? What is the source of your water? Well or city?

If your fish seem fine and your plants are pearling and happy, you should be OK. I'm sure others will have better suggestions. Might be worth trying a drop checker.
Fish are fine, although if the co2 is turned up any higher they're stressed.

Oh is tested through an API test kit and a ph pen and I have well water.

Plants due pearl to an extent but I never get the massive pearling everyone loves to see. I do have a drop checker and it is bright ass yellow.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 05:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
So the drop checker is your smoking gun. I think you need to back off on your CO2. Your drop checker needs to be more on the green side of things. While there is error with the KH/pH table table when other things in the water are affecting pH, your drop checker reflects pH from CO2. With your drop checker in the green, I'll bet your pH/KH indicates you don't have enough CO2. (I'm just guessing)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 05:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
One of but a few interesting articles/thread's I have read regarding CO2 was /is at Home | UK Aquatic Plant Society in" tutorial's" sub forum "Co2 in the planted aquarium".
Good info here as well.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
One of but a few interesting articles/thread's I have read regarding CO2 was /is at Home | UK Aquatic Plant Society in" tutorial's" sub forum "Co2 in the planted aquarium".
Good info here as well.
Nice. That backs up the chart from what I read and looks like my co2 is concentration is really high.

Just a noob

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode