• 2 Post By Hoppy
  • 2 Post By houseofcards
  • 2 Post By Varmint

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Completely Over My Head

Dosing is one of the areas of planted tanks that has always eluded me, and in the past I was always much more focused on the fish side of things. This time I really want to nail the planted part.

My first question is how do I decide when/if I need to dose my tank? I have a 5g low tech set up with ADA Aquasoil that is still cycling. I wasn't planning on dosing until after it cycles, everything settles, and I get a better idea of what I'm working with. Except for the fact that I don't know what to look for.

I'm not doing anything crazy, varieties of Java moss, anubias petite, crypt wendtii, and microsword, plus a few background plants and moss eventually.

The only stock this will have is a betta. Because of the size and proportions of this tank, my goal is to maintain as little algae as possible, since I can't have a cleanup crew and manual maintenance is already going to be a nightmare.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 10:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Could be a couple month's in low tech ,lower light, before any additional nutrient's may be needed other than what the aquasoil provides.Maybe longer.
tlriot and tlriot like this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 11:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Keep it low light and you will not really have to add any ferts. My current 75g hasn't had any ferts in close to a year. I have very minimal algae too and decent growth.

I moved recently and the water out of the tap is much harder. The plants are having a touch time adjusting but I think it will be alright.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
Hoppy, Hoppy, tlriot and 1 others like this.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't think you need to dose anything with that plant selection. Maybe add some root tabs to the gravel, though.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 05:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah also agree, keep it low light and it should not be a real issue. Have something similar I use for my fry for the first couple of weeks. Aquasoil and some kind of cheapo led light above it, looks a lot like your tank but a bit smaller. Aquasoil as well. Got anubias petite in it and some fast growing stem plant I don't remember. Doing great without any ferts and growing in a steady pace. Though I have 10 red bee shrimp maintaining it as well. Guess you could do the same? Not sure if the betta will eat them though?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
ADA Aquasoil can provide most, if not all nutrients for a year or so, but after that you may want to start dosing very lightly. The more light you have, the faster the plants grow, and the faster the aquasoil runs out of some nutrients, especially nitrogen.

Hoppy
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 06:01 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
I agree with the others about dosing. Not much to do for a while especially with low light. Things to do are basically water changes and keeping the light on a tight leash.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fissure View Post
Yeah also agree, keep it low light and it should not be a real issue. Have something similar I use for my fry for the first couple of weeks. Aquasoil and some kind of cheapo led light above it, looks a lot like your tank but a bit smaller. Aquasoil as well. Got anubias petite in it and some fast growing stem plant I don't remember. Doing great without any ferts and growing in a steady pace. Though I have 10 red bee shrimp maintaining it as well. Guess you could do the same? Not sure if the betta will eat them though?
I wish I could have shrimp, but unfortunately the only ones available here are opae, since shrimp could easily invade our waterways. The opae only breed in brakish and are extremely invasive already, and they dont do the best clean up job. I tested a few with my betta, but he had a field day and quickly dispatched all of them.

I was wondering about Flourish Excel, if that could have any benefit for this tank?

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 04:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have similar plants. At water change time, I inspect the plants (if I remember). If the anubias starts to loose it's deep green color and begin to turn yellow or get holes in the leaves, I dose. If the crypts start to melt or have weak growth, time to dose. I'm very casual, but try to be mindful of what I observe. I use Flourish, potassium, nitogen and phosphorus at the beginner levels. If things look bad, I add a half dose of Excel (I've had a bad overdosing experience with Excel,so I am a little scared of it).

Here is a handy chart to help you see what to look for Freshwater Plants: Nutrient Deficiencies - AquathusiastAquathusiast
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2016, 04:39 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlriot View Post
I was wondering about Flourish Excel, if that could have any benefit for this tank?
I would definitely dose the Excel. Can only help as long as you don't overdose.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode