Rotala Butterfly Nutrient Calculator - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
inf
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rotala Butterfly Nutrient Calculator

Hi Guys,

I'm new here, but have been messing with planted tanks for a year or so. I started doing dry ferts only about a half year now.

I'm trying to use the Rotala Butterfly calculator (Rotala Butterfly | Planted Aquarium Nutrient Dosing Calculator) for nutrients, but am confused about dosing the kno3 in a solution. It appears that 5ppm is the limit of kno3 I can put into mixed solution without the calculator saying there's too much in the container. Am I supposed to dose the rest directly into the tank if I'm aiming for 10+ppm? Or do I use two 500ml containers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 08:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

Helo inf and welcome to the forum.

The warning you see is most likely due to the solubility of KNO3 in water at room temperature. Basically you want to dose too few ml to get a too high ppm in a large aquarium. Increase the dose size and you should be ok. A screenshot of your setting will surely help.

By what you are saying I'm guessing your selection is like this

On hiatus till later this year

Last edited by dukydaf; 08-23-2018 at 08:59 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 08:39 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Increase the container size so there is enough water to dissolve KNO3 amount.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 09:51 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (127/100%)
As mentioned, can either use a bigger bottle, or adjust the dose from 5ml to 10ml, etc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
inf
Algae Grower

Oh ok. The dose size wasn't enough. Cool, thanks everyone.

Am I confused or something about the amount of kno3 to add? Why does pps-pro add only 32grams of kno3 to a 500ml bottle dosing about 1ml to 10 gallons? 1-1.3ppm? Isn't that way too low for a planted tank with med/high light? I thought pps-pro is good with high light? Why does the calculator say pps is 5-10ppm of no3? That leads me to another question.

Does anyone know the average ratio of phosphate to nitrate produced from food? How do I add that into the final equation?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 10-28-2016 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 11:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by inf View Post
Am I confused or something about the amount of kno3 to add? Why does pps-pro add only 32grams of kno3 to a 500ml bottle dosing about 1ml to 10 gallons? 1-1.3ppm?
EI and relabeled PMDD (PPS-Pro (now with the new improved conc. of traces) ) are two different approaches to fertilization. One provides your plants with a fridge full of what they need and with more than they need. The other gives something, observes if hair is falling out , kidneys fail or God forbid weight gain and adjust accordingly. Last I checked ppt suggested 10ppm NO3 as a target. Both work so you are free to choose depending on your goals, routines, faith in test kits and the need to tweak every individual parameter every time you trim your plants. I suggest reading this thread to familiarize yourself with the EI approach: The Estimative Index of Dosing, or No Need for Test Kits - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report

Quote:
Isn't that way too low for a planted tank with med/high light? I thought pps-pro is good with high light? Why does the calculator say pps is 5-10ppm of no3? That leads me to another question.
What pps suggests is that you increase or decrease the dosing based on your plants uptake to get a steady value somewhere between 5-10ppm NO3. How do you see you got over 10ppm ? You test NO3 but the tests are not that reliable. TDS does not tell you your NO3 is more than you like (do not let anybody fool you).

Quote:
Does anyone know the average ratio of phosphate to nitrate produced from food? How do I add that into the final equation?
Well, you will have a very very long equation.Think climate change modeling is black science... our aquariums would require a similar equation. Thing is rather than micromanage every nutrient, plant leaf and water parameter I would recommend the EI approach and enjoy your aquarium.

On hiatus till later this year

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode