Potassium Ferts - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By dukydaf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Potassium Ferts

I have a few different potassium fertilizers and am wondering if I need to add them all?

I have potassium nitrate, potassium sulphate, and monopotassium phosphate.

I have been dosing potassium nitrate and trace but I'm not sure what else I need, my GH is really high in the water out of the tap so I'm not adding a GH booster?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 08:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello Antix,

Two of them, are added mainly for the nitrate (NO3) and phosphate (PO4). N, P, K(potassium) are some of the important elements that plants need to grow (macronutrients). Another one is C, added mainly as CO2. Plants need all of the macro and micro nutrients to grow, add only nitrogen(N), and potassium(K) and no phosphor(P) or carbon(C) and your plants will not grow as well. I will publish an article on this very soon and will keep you posted.

As you rightly say all of them also add K.Only very little from KH2PO4, enough for most aquariums from KNO3. Now the question is do you need to dose K2SO4 (potassium sulphate) ? Depends on your aquarium/plants. My suggestion and experience is that dosing more K does not hurt. If you follow EI why not follow it all the way to see the results of "unlimited" nutrient levels. Then you can play with more or less as you have a fair comparison.

By trace I guess you also mean Fe, so that is covered. You also need a source of CO2.

A high GH does not always mean you have enough Mg, Ca in your water. Check your local water report for estimated ppm. GH only measures Mg+Ca. Some observed improvements in certain plants after using the GH booster, but as you say it is not required as we expect the tap water to provide enough Mg, Ca, Cl etc.

Best regards,
dukydaf
Hoppy and Hoppy like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode