0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate - What's Going On?! - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By theatermusic87

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate - What's Going On?!

Hey all!
I have a problem. One that no matter who I ask, I can't find an explanation. I have been running my planted 6 gallon aquarium for over a month now and I can't manage to produce any ammonia to get the darn thing to cycle! For the entire month my ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels have been a stable 0! I want to make it a RCS tank, but need to make sure the tank is well established before I add any shrimp. So far I have tried everything but adding pure ammonia (no local stores carry ammonia without detergents). Can anyone offer advice or an explanation?

Things that I have tried (in chronological order):
1) Adding fish flakes/letting plant matter decompose
2) Letting a dead guppy sit in the take - after it died from exhaustion because of filter current
2) Adding pond snails to eat algae and plant matter (approx 2 weeks ago)
3) Adding a new guppy, who continues to thrive (been in the tank for 4 days now)

Despite all the above attempts my testing kit has read 0ppm on all tests. I have made sure my water was thoroughly declorinated, I have asked the LFS to check my readings (and they came up the same), I even bought a new water test kit to be safe! Help!

Some tank details below:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...rimp-tank.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 11:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Perhaps with the small bioload, your plants are taking all the ammonia and/or nitrate.
I can't see your pics on your thread. Do you have a heavy plant load?
What biomedia are you using?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The normal standard fishless cycle works by adding a known amount of ammonia. The one sure way to know that you have ammonia is by adding it. Otherwise you will still be guessing how much bacteria you have built up and you will not know if the tank is ready.
A bottle of ammonia is so cheap that I would not want to go far to avoid using it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 01:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Dr tims has bottles of ammonia on Amazon for a couple dollars specially for cycling and aquarium.

That being said cherry shrimp have a very low bioload and if your tank can handle snails and a guppy without an increase in anything then I'd say your good to go. Even if you just get an increase in nitrate you're fine
Hoppy and Hoppy like this.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgonedaddy View Post
Perhaps with the small bioload, your plants are taking all the ammonia and/or nitrate.
I can't see your pics on your thread. Do you have a heavy plant load?
What biomedia are you using?
Yeah, that's odd. Not sure why they are gone.

My plant load is minimal. I have some micro sword, crpyt parva, and a few anubias petite with driftwood. nothing crazy, and certainly not fast growing...

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 04:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOffset238 View Post
Yeah, that's odd. Not sure why they are gone.

My plant load is minimal. I have some micro sword, crpyt parva, and a few anubias petite with driftwood. nothing crazy, and certainly not fast growing...
But coupled with your minimal bioload, what you have may be using it all.

You have have to resort to adding ammonia.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode