So this is the results of my well water

Ph 9
Total alk. 240
Total hardness 100
Copper 0
Iron 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0

As you can see its "kinda" hard. Luckily no iron or copper was detected. Is there anything I can do to make this water better to use for water changes other than buying equipment like a whole house water softener? I'd have no problem buying one if I didn't plan on moving within a year

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Depending on what you plan on adding, that may be just fine.

If you want it softer but don't want to buy an RO unit (as cheap as $65), you can buy RO water for like 28-50 cents a gallon, depending on where you buy from. Bring your own container (bucket is ok!) or you may be able to purchase containers there.

Anything else would probably be too tedious and not worth the time or effort.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
Depending on what you plan on adding, that may be just fine.

If you want it softer but don't want to buy an RO unit (as cheap as $65), you can buy RO water for like 28-50 cents a gallon, depending on where you buy from. Bring your own container (bucket is ok!) or you may be able to purchase containers there.

Anything else would probably be too tedious and not worth the time or effort.
Any suggestions on a RO unit for that price? I'll buy it today

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 10:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

RO Buddy from Amazon?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 10:26 PM
Algae Grower

It's a little more pricey but I have the Hydro Logic Stealth 100 and I got no complaints about it.

Super easy to setup and start using.

"Be the change you want to see in the world"
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Since I have my saltwater tanks to think about(I've been buying distilled water for those) If an rodi unit will take care of my hard water and ph issue(which if I lower the hardness it should lower the ph as well), I might be able to convince the wife to spend a little extra and get a unit that I can tap off the RO side for drinking and freshwater top off...kinda thinking about the BRS value 4 stage. I don't really need the tds meter since I already have one. Thoughts?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 02:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldgengineer View Post
Since I have my saltwater tanks to think about(I've been buying distilled water for those) If an rodi unit will take care of my hard water and ph issue(which if I lower the hardness it should lower the ph as well), I might be able to convince the wife to spend a little extra and get a unit that I can tap off the RO side for drinking and freshwater top off...kinda thinking about the BRS value 4 stage. I don't really need the tds meter since I already have one. Thoughts?
I have a couple BRS units. Solid units , no issues. I have one plumbed into the well for whole house RO drinking water at the hunting shack. Most RO units are basically the same.
If you have a well, make sure you get 40psi at the RO unit. If you don't your unit won't be as efficient and your product water will be decreased, I have a booster pump on the one hooked to the well.

I'm going to upgrade the one I have at home for fish tanks to the 150 GPD upgrade. Twice the RO water with half the rejection water.

+++++++++++++++++++
Just started Nano

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

++++++++++++++++++++
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have a shallow well with a drop in pump. When my pump died on me a few years ago I upgraded the size and replaced the expansion tank since that was original to the house. I wasn't happy with the water pressure prior to the pump dying. I have a 55/75 switch on the tank and the well pump barely runs lol it's nice
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:

Ph 9
Total alk. 240
Total hardness 100
Copper 0
Iron 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0

As you can see its "kinda" hard. Luckily no iron or copper was detected. Is there anything I can do to make this water better to use for water changes other than buying equipment like a whole house water softener? I'd have no problem buying one if I didn't plan on moving within a year

Thanks!
@bldgengineer,

If you are contemplating on buying a whole house water filter, go for Home Master HMF2SDGC whole house water filter. It is very easy to install, contains multistage filtration, high outflow rate of 20 gallons per minute.

Hope this helps you

Cheers
Mark
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 03:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markcamp12 View Post
@bldgengineer,

If you are contemplating on buying a whole house water filter, go for Home Master HMF2SDGC whole house water filter. It is very easy to install, contains multistage filtration, high outflow rate of 20 gallons per minute.

Hope this helps you

Cheers
Mark
That filter will remove sediment and organic compounds only.

Bump:
Quote:

Ph 9
Total alk. 240
Total hardness 100
Copper 0
Iron 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0

Thanks!
Who tested the water? Extension office or softener company?

Did they test for sulphur? If the water has sulphur in it you need to take care of that before any filter. My present well has no noticeable sulphur but my last house was a sulphur mine. I wound up using a chlorinator and filter to get rid of that then a turbulator to work on the iron. If I didn't do that any RO I use would be worthless in a matter of minutes.

I'm in limestone and my ph isn't as high as yours. 9 is high.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode