Types of Ferts for 10 gallon tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By mason01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Types of Ferts for 10 gallon tank

Hello everyone! I am in the process of turning my 10 gallon half mooned tank into a low tech planted tank. I have bought a new light which I have a link too below and also have completed my soil. The soil is a mixture between peat moss, top soil, another type of organic soil, and I have also added clay into the soil as well.It will be topped with fine gravel as well. I haven't really made my mind up on the type of plants that I want to get yet, but have a list of solid plants that would work. My question is on whether liquid fertilizers would be fine (if so which types) or if dry fertilizers would be better. I researched, but all the research that I have seen is for tank 55 gallons and bigger, so I was just wanting some expert opinions since you all are so smart LOL Thank you all and let me know if there is any more information I need to give you!

https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-FugeRa...+planted+light
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 03:41 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
The typical "liquid" fertilizers (commercially available fertilizers) are quite dilute. Dry fertilizers are the bulk, economical option.

Even for a small 10 gallon aquarium, in the long run, dry fertilizers will be more economical.

That being said, there is nothing stopping you from diluting them in water and dosing in a liquid form, if that is what you desire. For some, this may be a requirement (e.g. dosing automatically with a peristaltic pump).

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
The typical "liquid" fertilizers (commercially available fertilizers) are quite dilute. Dry fertilizers are the bulk, economical option.

Even for a small 10 gallon aquarium, in the long run, dry fertilizers will be more economical.

That being said, there is nothing stopping you from diluting them in water and dosing in a liquid form, if that is what you desire. For some, this may be a requirement (e.g. dosing automatically with a peristaltic pump).
So you think that dry fertilizers would be the way to go even with a small tank? I know people use Excel for their tank, but then I read about to dry feertilizers and realized all the benefits. Wasn't really sure if dry would make a huge impact on a tank as small as mine

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 03:33 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mason01 View Post
So you think that dry fertilizers would be the way to go even with a small tank? I know people use Excel for their tank, but then I read about to dry feertilizers and realized all the benefits. Wasn't really sure if dry would make a huge impact on a tank as small as mine
I used to use dry fertilizers on a 2.5 gallon aquarium

In the long run, dry fertilizers are the economical choice as they can last a much longer period of time.

In terms of "benefits" (increased plant growth, healthier plants, etc), these can be also be achieved with commercial fertilizers. The main difference is final cost.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 03:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Since you have organic soil you may not need ferts. It depends on the type of plants you get. Stem plants are nitrate hogs. Specticide stump remover which is 100% KNO3 (potassium nitrate) supplies nitrates for the stem plants.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
I used to use dry fertilizers on a 2.5 gallon aquarium

In the long run, dry fertilizers are the economical choice as they can last a much longer period of time.

In terms of "benefits" (increased plant growth, healthier plants, etc), these can be also be achieved with commercial fertilizers. The main difference is final cost.
Okay I think I am going to end up going with dry fertilizers. Do you recommend any particular that I should get. I know there is the Macro and Micro nutrients, but any you would recommend would be great. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Since you have organic soil you may not need ferts. It depends on the type of plants you get. Stem plants are nitrate hogs. Specticide stump remover which is 100% KNO3 (potassium nitrate) supplies nitrates for the stem plants.
Okay, so do you think I should get everything up and running and see how the plants are doing without any ferts?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 10-06-2016 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 05:27 PM
Algae Grower

Mason01

I know your original post said you did research but did you see these?

How to Setup a Low-tech Planted Tank: Planted Aquarium Guide ? Welcome to Sudeep Mandal's spot on the net

Non CO2 methods - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report

Just fyi and additional reading for you. Good luck with your set up.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1963158 View Post
Mason01

I know your original post said you did research but did you see these?

How to Setup a Low-tech Planted Tank: Planted Aquarium Guide ? Welcome to Sudeep Mandal's spot on the net

Non CO2 methods - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report

Just fyi and additional reading for you. Good luck with your set up.
Thank you very much! This is very informative and really helps me out. I already saw the 2nd link, but the 1st one provides a lot of specifics, so thank you
K1963158 and K1963158 like this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 12:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mason01 View Post
Okay I think I am going to end up going with dry fertilizers. Do you recommend any particular that I should get. I know there is the Macro and Micro nutrients, but any you would recommend would be great. Thank you
Again I say it depends on the plants you get. Research here and google the plants you want to get

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode