fert estimates - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Darkblade48

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
fert estimates

This is currently the tank. I have been using flourish excel (with pressurized CO2), flourish comprehensive and trace nutrients. I have a bottle or iron, potassium, nitrogen, and phosphorus.

I have been doing about 1.5 to 2 caps of comprehensive every other day and the off days of that I have been using about a capful of the other stuff. There were no fish in the tank but last night I moved one molly (who was a jerk) to this tank as my culling fish (for the invasive stuff in there, not culling the fish I mean).

Im not sure honestly if this might be too much fert when fish start to go in there. I have been testing the levels and everything seems fine. That the makes me think there isnt ENOUGH ferts.

Im noticing some of the older dwarf sag is starting to looked yellowish and being eaten.

What kind of fert dosing estimates do you guys think would be good for this tank to keep things healthy. I dont honestly plan to add more plants except some moss to make that wood a tree.
I also have been trying to keep up with my root tabbing but thats so so.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160916_142825.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	676457  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 09:04 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
If anything, I would guess you are not dosing enough. Typically, commercially available fertilizers are quite dilute, so it is quite possible your plants are starved.

What are your tank parameters, with particular emphasis on nitrates and phosphates?

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 01:52 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi

Here are two links that may be of help. Follow this one to calculate your dose in your tank. It works for dry ferts and commercially made ferts

Rotala Butterfly | Planted Aquarium Calculators & Information

Here is a link to purchase dry ferts. Using dry ferts is the same as using commercially made ones except 100x less money.

Planted Aquarium Fertilizer - Home

Hope this helps

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
If anything, I would guess you are not dosing enough. Typically, commercially available fertilizers are quite dilute, so it is quite possible your plants are starved.

What are your tank parameters, with particular emphasis on nitrates and phosphates?

Well nitrates should be zero no? That's what they show up on my test kit as.
Phos I have no idea

Guess I'll need a test kit for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1963158 View Post
Hi

Here are two links that may be of help. Follow this one to calculate your dose in your tank. It works for dry ferts and commercially made ferts

Rotala Butterfly | Planted Aquarium Calculators & Information

Here is a link to purchase dry ferts. Using dry ferts is the same as using commercially made ones except 100x less money.

Planted Aquarium Fertilizer - Home

Hope this helps
Thanks
I have a ton of commercial ferts someone gave me but I can pass those along of these are better

Last edited by Darkblade48; 10-03-2016 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 12:10 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil nick View Post
Well nitrates should be zero no? That's what they show up on my test kit as.
Phos I have no idea

Guess I'll need a test kit for it
In a properly cycled aquarium, nitrates should not be at zero. In a planted tank, the nitrates should also not be at zero, as plants require nitrates as nutrients.

The fact that it is zero would indicate that the plants are using up all available nitrates and are starving.
Nlewis and Nlewis like this.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry been sick, thought you meant nitrites

picked up their macro micro mix

Last edited by evil nick; 10-04-2016 at 02:04 PM. Reason: addition

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode