Crappy Test Kits? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Crappy Test Kits?

For those of you who use the Seachem Nitrate and Phosphate kits, how long does your kits last? I always have to get a replacement from Seachem because I can't get the kits to last more than 1 month??

As for the TetraTest test kits, I'm not sure if they are all that accurate, can anyone comment?

Update pics, 9/25/04 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Club #49, 2028, 2215, surface extractor, autofeeder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 12:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had the exact problem. I even received a brand new replacement kit straight from SeaChem with the same results. I have since replaced both with LaMottes and could not be any happier.
For what it is worth I also had the same problem with RedSea. I should have just bought the LaMottes right from the beginning. Oddly enough the cheapest nitrate kit I have AP I test side by side with the LaMotte and although it is not graduated close enough it has remained consistent with the LaMotte

Eheim Pimp Club member #14
2215 Classic
Eheim CO2 Diffuser
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 02:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

My SeaChem kits are the most reliable I've ever used. TetraTest kits aren't terrible, but they don't make a phosphate kit (that I've seen).

Malkore
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 03:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I've used both SeaChem and Redsea for both nitrate and phosphate. They are great kits and work accurately, as long as they haven't expired. After that they are shot. I've been thinking of getting Lamotte now since all these internet vendors have a talent of sending expired kits.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'll add that I've tested my tank with LaMotte and SeaChem for phosphate...they gave the same result.

Malkore
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I will have to say that when the seachem kits work, they are great. But, I can't even do 10 tests let alone 75! Where is the expiration date on these things and how long is it supposed to last typically?

Update pics, 9/25/04 -

Eheim Pimp Club #49, 2028, 2215, surface extractor, autofeeder.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 02:50 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I am starting to get a little turned off on the Red Sea nitrate kits. The last three I have purchased just didn't work. I switched to the Lamotte because the Red Sea nitrate kits weren't working. The phosphate kit is just fine, but I will never buy another Red Sea nitrate kit again. Too much money ($13) to take a chance with.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 02:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Aye to that Mike. I'm giving up on my second "new" Red Sea NO3 kit that quit on me from the start. They only work as long as Regent A doesn't have the grey caking on the bottom of the bottle (Cadmium). Otherwise my second Red Sea phosphate kit is just fine.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-2004, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you get 'fresh' test kits, they should be good for a year. They should always have an expiration date stamped on them.
The problem is that places will order a whole box of kits...and then it takes them a year to sell 2 dozen nitrate test kits.
I don't test my tanks as much now, because I've learned how they use up nutrients. But in the initial first 2 months, I was testing nitrate and phosphate 3 times a week.

Malkore
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 03:02 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

Quote:
If you get 'fresh' test kits,
Of course I checked the package! Jeeesh! I am not that bad...yet!

Red Sea nitrate kits are just too hit or miss for me. The Red Sea phosphate kits have never let me down. From now on, when it comes to nitrate testing, it is going to be LaMotte for me.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 03:15 AM
BSS
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I had the *exact* same experience as Mike with the Red Sea kits. The phosphate works just great. My first NO3 kit never worked. I phoned and they sent me a second kit. It failed the same way. But, since I'm still milking an AP NO3 kit that is nearly 3 years old, I can wait to find something else.

46g bf, XP3 w/ vertical spray bar, CO2 w/ SMS122 & diffuser,100% Flourite, 96w+55w cf AHS, AGA Member
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 05:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo
Aye to that Mike. I'm giving up on my second "new" Red Sea NO3 kit that quit on me from the start. They only work as long as Regent A doesn't have the grey caking on the bottom of the bottle (Cadmium). Otherwise my second Red Sea phosphate kit is just fine.
My Red Sea Nitrate test kit doesn't work either. The expiration date is 12/20/2005 but it reads either ZERO or +50ppm (only in VERY concentrated solutions). It couldn't be worse in my opinion because it is very misleading !

I also noticed that Regent A does have the grey caking on the bottom of the bottle, even though it hasn't expired yet !
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 11:27 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

I shook the living heck out of Reagent A, and got poor results.

I feel badly about this. I was pumping the Red Sea nitrate kits as an alternative to the AP kits for a while, but I just can't do it anymore. The kits just seem to have become flaky over the past few months.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 01:54 AM
Planted Member

My Red Sea kit appears to be dead also. I even went as far as putting a pinch of the powder kno3 into the test tube ... in hopes of it shooting a high reading .... same cruddy reaction time & reading as before .... 5. No matter what I do, I always get 5. Oh yeah, gray solids on the bottom .... even after shaking the heck out of it!

I ordered a Seachem kit today ... we'll see how that works out.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2004, 07:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had the same problem with Red Sea Nitrate kits. First one read 0 all the time. Second one doesn't seem to read higher than 5, ever.

Wrote an email to Red Sea and never got an answer... good customer service !

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode