Co2 pH KH Questions. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Co2 pH KH Questions.

Hi, I just bought my first Api GH and KH test kit. Also using some rather old api ph(low) ive had for about 5 years. I Tested the GH, reading was 3 degree, KH reading was 3 degrees as well. Then i tested my pH, which has me a little bit concerned. I is reading at about 6.0 or around there which would indicate around 90ppm co2!!! Im freaking out. im not sure if the ph test kit is incorrect due to age (does not have an expiration date i could locate, but my gh and kh both have about a 3-5 year life span as indicated on each bottles). None of my fish are stressing though, even the plecos which are generally fussy about everything. I am running about 4-5 bps on a gla gro 1 regulator, 75 gal tank (was having issues with 2-3 ppm shifting co2 levels which caused my ar mini, driftwood and even glass to have a bba outbreak). Any thoughts, opinions or advice would be very appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0312.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	669633  

Name:	IMG_0321.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	669641  

Name:	IMG_0325.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	669649  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 07:17 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsin View Post
I is reading at about 6.0 or around there which would indicate around 90ppm co2!!!
lol. It's good indication to not pay attention to this. There are so any variables from miscalculation to foreign kH and H+ ions.
None of your fish are stressed. Go with that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
lol. It's good indication to not pay attention to this. There are so any variables from miscalculation to foreign kH and H+ ions.
None of your fish are stressed. Go with that.
Thanks for the input. I just started this tank a little over a months ago, and have been learning and researching as much as possible. On the plus side, with just a once a week of excel dose immediately after water changes and co2 increase the new growth on my ar mini is bba free and the bba is slowly but surely fading. Trying not to overdo anything due to fissidens and cladophoria in the tank. They havent reacted poorly, so ill keep at it. Thanks again.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 11:40 PM
Algae Grower

90 ppm? No wonder your plants in the top pictures look so good. 90 ppm should have been enough to deal with that algae. All kidding aside, I think you should raise your KH 1 or 2 dKH. My KH has been slipping lately and I wasn't aware of it. By the middle of the week it gets down to 3 or 4 dKH. I mixed enough Potassium Bicarbonate in RO water to dose 1 dKH per 10 ml of dosing solution in my 20 gallon tank. Dosing dry it's a 1/4 teaspoon per 20 gallons to add 1 dKH. I don't have to test the KH because thanks to testing I know what is happening. The other benefit of Potassium Bicarbonate is the extra Potassium.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode