When to start using fertilizers after setting up a new tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By OVT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
When to start using fertilizers after setting up a new tank

After setting up a tank, when do you start dosing fertilizers? The reason I ask is because I have heard from a couple of sources to start dosing ferts after a few weeks (3-6) while others suggest doing so immediately after setting up the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 03:51 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Would it make a difference depending on what substrate you used?

[tacking on to OP's OP]

Most people just call me B.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 05:24 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
I start ferts the day I plant.

Here is my rational: my primary goal with a new planted tank is to get the plants going asap. With a given set of plants, light, and substrate I really do not know if plants are short on any nutrients without extensive water testing day after day. So, why not give them everything from the start? I do go either light or heavy with dosage: more light = more ferts, rich substrate = less ferts. I start at 1/2 of recommended EI and adjust up or down based on the tank.

Bump: dosage wise, substrates can get tricky and you need to think a bit. Ask if your specific substrate is likely to leach nutrients into the water column and and what types of plant you have. As an example, Aqua Soil leaches a lot at the start and if I mostly have stem plants then I go light on macros and heavier on micros. If you have a capped soil with mostly crypts then I wait a week before fertilizing and check on how plants are doing. If you have capped soil with mostly stems, then go 1/2 EI to start.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode