clowdy water after w/c - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
clowdy water after w/c

Hi, I have an established 29g tank (3 years) that 2 months ago I switched from a 205 to a 2215. The eheim is properly loaded with media, lots of substrat pro. Anyways, about a month ago after water changes I started getting clowdy water after my weekly 50% wc that clears up around when it's time for another w/c, so essentially I have clowdy water all the time. The clowdy water started right around when I added a submersible pump to help water movement. The pump is an old one I have used for years in this same tank when I used to use diy co2 so it's not anything in the pump itself. I removed the pump this morning to eliminate it as the cause of clowdy water. Assuming it's not the pump and just my filter cycling, how long will this take? Would smaller w/c help? if 2 smaller w/c for a while will help eliminate clowdiness and hasten cycling, should I continue with dosing and just test my parameters to ensure I am not overdosing? Thanks!

Fluval PEEEEMP #9
Fluval 205
2xAC30 + AC MINI (it's Hagen; close enough!)
EHEIM 2215
CO2 stuff c/o REX

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

OK, last night I checked and then double checked my parameters to be sure. Everything is in check, but my P is off the chart (>5 ppm according to nutrafin) and this was 48 hrs after last dosing N and P, so I obvoiusly have way too much P in there. I dosed N as usual and will be dosing plantex tonight as usual and check my P and try to get it back in check. I would expect a high P imbalance to give me crazy algae, bot clowdy water...we'll see I guess.

Fluval PEEEEMP #9
Fluval 205
EHEIM 2215
CO2 stuff c/o REX

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So I get home today and the water is cloudier than ever...this is whack!

I turned off my CO2 and will not dose any ferts to try to start pinpointing whats going on. My ferts were bought a couple years ago, they don't go bad right? My plantex has been in the fridge and the KNO3 and KH2PO4 has been in my aquarium tupperware in the closet. I am wondering if it's not bacteria at all...Not too long ago I built a rex style reactor, could the pvc cement be dissolving into the water? I figured the cement is used on our potable water so it would be fine for the aquarium. The brass fitting that I run my co2 line into the reactor is sealed with 'GE silicone I' that I think is aquarium safe right?

I can actually see the cloudiness flowing inside the tank with the water flow! The fish don't seem to be bothered, hopefully I can figure it out soon though because it looks awful.

Fluval PEEEEMP #9
Fluval 205
EHEIM 2215
CO2 stuff c/o REX

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 12:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Skip a water change and see what happens. Sounds like a bacteria bloom related to your filter switch. Keep doing what you were always doing...no problems before right? Just skip a week on the wc and see what happens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mark
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 12:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
try putting some tank water in a Styrofoam cup to see if it is trully a white cloudy or if it is a light green cloudy. it can be hard to tell in you tank, but the white cup gives you a good background to determine.

im having my 2.5 gal go thru green water which i thought was a prolonged cycle due to over WC'n

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I will try that with the cup, and skip this weeks w/c. I am also laying off the dosing and CO2. Next week I presume it will clear up and I will one by one start adding the CO2 and ferts...I think I will remake my KH2PO4 as well.

oh yeah and I put my UV on

Fluval PEEEEMP #9
Fluval 205
EHEIM 2215
CO2 stuff c/o REX

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9am53 View Post
I will try that with the cup, and skip this weeks w/c. I am also laying off the dosing and CO2. Next week I presume it will clear up and I will one by one start adding the CO2 and ferts...I think I will remake my KH2PO4 as well.

oh yeah and I put my UV on
Stopping CO2 and dosing to the best of my knowledge is not going to clear up an algae bloom and very likely will cause an algae outbreak. Algae likes changes that are detrimental to higher plants like low CO2 and irregular nutrient availability. More likely that your UV and skipping the wc is going to fix your problem.

Mark
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

ok thanks. Things are starting to clear up, I will turn on the CO2 again tonight and test nutrients again.

Fluval PEEEEMP #9
Fluval 205
EHEIM 2215
CO2 stuff c/o REX

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Everything is cleared up in the tank now...and I think I may have figured out why I was cycling every water change. I realized that shortly after switching to my eheim filter I started using the quick disconnects to simplify water changes. What I have been doing is to refill the tank after a w/c I disconnect the inlet hose from my eheim and pump water from my bucket into the tank using my eheim. I don't use and have never used any de-chlorination stuff for my tap water, so I was essentially running fully chlorinated water straight through my filter, wiping out nitrifiers.

Fluval PEEEEMP #9
Fluval 205
EHEIM 2215
CO2 stuff c/o REX

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode