Ferts and Carbon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy Ferts and Carbon

Hi all,

I am new to keep live plants in my tank, so could do with some help please.
I have a 200L boyu tank that is fairly deep 839(L) x 434(W) x 730mm(D). I am fairly well stocked with small fish, and over filter to keep it nice and clean. Lights are LED wattage: 10w x 2 LED's: 48 x 2

The plants i have are java fern attached to some bogwood along with a couple of Anubis attached. also have a small bunch of Italian Val. I have got Seachem Flourish and EasyCarbo here. My question is do I need to need either of them.
Have been reading about low tech and high tech set up, have no idea what you would class mine as.

Could some kind person talk me through what I have and what i need to make sure the plants grow well and do not die on me.

thank you in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-08-31 11.27.03.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	667129  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Unfortunately our eyes are not at all good for measuring light intensity. We have to use a light meter, either a lux meter or a PAR meter to measure the intensity. If we use a light fixture than someone else has reported their light meter readings (versus distance from the light) we can make a good guess about what our intensity will be. But, I don't know if you are using a manufactured light fixture, that has some reported intensity measurements, or a DIY light fixture, or something else. So, I don't know how you can get a good guess at what your light intensity is.

You can buy a cheap luxmeter from one of several internet stores, and use that to measure the light intensity versus distance, with the light out in the air (cheap lux meters are not waterproof). There is little difference between measurements in air and in water. You can roughly convert your in air lux measurements to PAR by dividing the readings by 65 (or about that). If that says that, at the distance from your light to your substrate, you have 25-35 PAR, you have low light, or if you have 40-60 PAR, you have medium light. Above that is high light.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode