• 2 Post By m,ooncon
  • 2 Post By birbaliktanki
  • 2 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tap Water for Planted Tank in Tx

Good evening everyone! I would like to know how good or how bad is my tap water here in the Dallas area. I was trying to read and understand the water report, but I'm all confuse on all the info.

Can some one tell me, based on the report, how can I make it usable for my fish and plants? (Without doing RO).

Do I only remove the chlorine or do I need to remove something else?

Thanks in advance. Here is the link for the report.

ci.garland.tx.us/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?blobid=24497

RD♊️CL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 10:56 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
It really depends what you are planning to keep in it. It looks like you have a very wide (and potentially high) pH range (6.75-9.88). You also have quite high TDS and Hardness (150 to over 600 ppm TDS).

I would suggest calling the City office to find out if these broad ranges mean the parameters fluctuate a lot over time or that they are stable but different at various test locations in the city. Also test your tap water to see what you are actually getting.

If your pH fluctuates a lot or is consistently very high you may want to do something to buffer it downwards or remove whatever is buffering it high. I can't think of fish or plants off the top of my head that would prefer a pH of 9.8. Perhaps others here may have some suggestions.

A carbon filter could help reduce your TDS and hardness. Even if you were to go all the way to an RO system this would still be your first step.

Overall, you'll want to be sure your water is consistent so you don't shock your fish with water changes.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 11:06 PM
Banned

depends dude, but initially you remove chlorine

Bump: depends dude, but initially you remove chlorine

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the quick response. The only method I have for now to measure or read is PH and KH. Out of the faucet the ph is 7.58 and KH 3 or 4 (drops to change it to yellow). The reads after 24hrs or more are PH 7.50 and KH is the same. It is very stable reading for what I can tell in years. What do you think?

The fish that I have are tropical fish (buenos aires tetras, black skirt tetras, Siamese algae eater, neon tetras, some loaches and angelfish). Some together and some on different tanks.

RD♊️CL
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 02:24 AM
Algae Grower

I live in mesquite and keep anything I want to keep, the fish will adapt to just about anything.I use safe for treating my water and have no problems.I think the mistake a lot of people make is over thinking things.The main thing is keep it stable don't mess with the ph that is the biggest killer of fish ,if your not careful its bouncing all over the place and fish don't take it well.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by m,ooncon View Post
I live in mesquite and keep anything I want to keep, the fish will adapt to just about anything.I use safe for treating my water and have no problems.I think the mistake a lot of people make is over thinking things.The main thing is keep it stable don't mess with the ph that is the biggest killer of fish ,if your not careful its bouncing all over the place and fish don't take it well.

Cool! I live in Garland. My main concern came after watching a video from the king of diy of de chlorination. He says that the chloramines are a mix of chlorine and ammonia. Once you remove the chlorine, the ammonia will be absorbed by the plants and/or won't affect the fish because of the low amount. That's why I was looking for help understanding the water report

RD♊️CL
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 05:04 PM
Algae Grower

I don't know what water conditioner you use but prime will take care of whatever you need.I use safe because it is cheaper and its the same as prime just powder form.Dont over think it,just do what you want to do and things will work out for you.Most of the people in the metroplex grow what they can in their tanks.Some plants in my tanks grow like weeds and when I give them to other people they wither and die,not every plant just some of them.Then I may get a plant that everybody in town grows and cant get it to grow its kind of funny how it works.I have 3 tanks one is a 75 gallon with mineralized topsoil mixed 50 /50 with safe-t-zorb capped with black diamond blasting sand.This is a low light tank that will grow just about anything I throw at it(Its my favorite tank) I have a 150 gallon with mineralized topsoil mixed 50/50 with eco complete capped with eco complete It will grow just about any thing but it is high light with co2 and algae can grow pretty quick in it so I really have to keep an eye on it.The last tank is a 10 gallon with eco complete it does pretty good also.When I started with planted tanks I killed more plants than I care to confess but I just kept trying and it worked out.When I say your over thinking to give you an example my 150 gallon is a discus tank I do a 50% water change every Sunday I don't age the water I clean the tank drain the water then hook up the python and fill it up,when I start filling I add the safe that I have diluted with tank water.I do try to keep the water temp close to the same.I have done it like this for years and have never had a problem I just try to keep everything constant as far as water perimeters.Are you just starting out in planted tanks or just trying to get a handle on it.
Radical MT and Radical MT like this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 05:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
not sure I see what your talking about.i looked through 3 pages of wtb/raok and see no sellers except like myself who charges for shipping and a few bucks for bags and time...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogy262 View Post
not sure I see what your talking about.i looked through 3 pages of wtb/raok and see no sellers except like myself who charges for shipping and a few bucks for bags and time...

Say whaaaaat?

RD♊️CL

Quote:
Originally Posted by m,ooncon View Post
I don't know what water conditioner you use but prime will take care of whatever you need.I use safe because it is cheaper and its the same as prime just powder form.Dont over think it,just do what you want to do and things will work out for you.Most of the people in the metroplex grow what they can in their tanks.Some plants in my tanks grow like weeds and when I give them to other people they wither and die,not every plant just some of them.Then I may get a plant that everybody in town grows and cant get it to grow its kind of funny how it works.I have 3 tanks one is a 75 gallon with mineralized topsoil mixed 50 /50 with safe-t-zorb capped with black diamond blasting sand.This is a low light tank that will grow just about anything I throw at it(Its my favorite tank) I have a 150 gallon with mineralized topsoil mixed 50/50 with eco complete capped with eco complete It will grow just about any thing but it is high light with co2 and algae can grow pretty quick in it so I really have to keep an eye on it.The last tank is a 10 gallon with eco complete it does pretty good also.When I started with planted tanks I killed more plants than I care to confess but I just kept trying and it worked out.When I say your over thinking to give you an example my 150 gallon is a discus tank I do a 50% water change every Sunday I don't age the water I clean the tank drain the water then hook up the python and fill it up,when I start filling I add the safe that I have diluted with tank water.I do try to keep the water temp close to the same.I have done it like this for years and have never had a problem I just try to keep everything constant as far as water perimeters.Are you just starting out in planted tanks or just trying to get a handle on it.

Than you very much for the info.

RD♊️CL

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-02-2016 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 04:49 AM
Planted Member

that is why diana walstad recommends in her natural aquariums to plant as many species of plants as possible in the beginning. those that survived are the ones that like your water parameters.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 03:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I find I go with trial and error to find what works but then I also will not agree to change my water to meet the needs of one specific plant or fish. There are just too many that do work for me to even think of putting up with those which don't. I manage my tank, not let my tanks (fish/plants) manage me.
Trying to adjust the water to any specific level will get you into growing different things but at the expense of losing some on the end you moved away from and it will certainly be harder and more dangerous for any fish you have. They like stable even if it is way off what they might have found in nature. A fish that lives in nature in 6.0 water in South America may not know it if he was raised in 7.8 in Florida?
Go with what works in your water and you can find plenty of things to grow. Austin area water is close to liquid rock so I grow plants that love to grow in springs in the limestone!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode