1Likes
  • 2 Post By burr740

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Macros solution and pure glutaraldehyde

Hi,

I am planning to make a solution for macros (KNO3 and KH2PO4) mixed with pure glutaraldehyde to last for 1 year. I will use distilled water for the macros and this will be mixed with pure glutaraldehyde. Dosing will be through a dosing pump. I am wondering if there will be problems with the potency of the ingredients considering the time frame involved or perhaps some settling issues to say the least. Any thoughts?

I appreciate all your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 12:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I thought it was micros that needed glut to not spoil.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Active - 3x 55g, 1x20T
Inactive - 25g, 20T, 10g, 2.5g
Sunsun Pimp #95
You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas
David Crockett
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 12:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Make sure the distilled water you use is true distilled as otherwise you are going to end up dumping lots of ammonia in your tank. If you don't want to go through all that, use RO water and if you're buying it from a bottle, test that too.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooch View Post
Make sure the distilled water you use is true distilled as otherwise you are going to end up dumping lots of ammonia in your tank. If you don't want to go through all that, use RO water and if you're buying it from a bottle, test that too.
Hi,

Could you explain more why is that? The reason why I'm using pure glut is to reduce the volume of the liquid since the solution would lasts up to a year. But for the macros, I will be using the normal concentration.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by birbaliktanki View Post
Hi,

Could you explain more why is that? The reason why I'm using pure glut is to reduce the volume of the liquid since the solution would lasts up to a year. But for the macros, I will be using the normal concentration.
Some distilled waters, if they aren't gassed off, contain ammonia (I imagine this is because of chloramines in the original water source...? not sure though).
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 05:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by birbaliktanki View Post
Hi,

It is a myth that distilled water is pure. Ammonia in distilled water is deemed acceptable as humans pass it through urine. Distilled water does not have to meet any specific standards due to this.

So, if you want to use distilled water without the ammonia element in place, you will have to find a true distilled which means what is says. The ammonia is gassed off and there won't be any in it.

https://www.wqa.org/Portals/0/Techni...14_Ammonia.pdf

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...filtration.pdf

FYI: In order to know if the water you choose is actually clean or not, you will need a test kit that tests for free and total ammonia independently. API likes to lump everything under one proverbial roof.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks for the clarification. I thought the ammonia problem has something to do with the interaction between the ingredients.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 06:20 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't think you are going to wind up with a bunch of ammonia in your tank from the amount being added via fert dosing. That amount is likely trivial compared to the volume of your tank.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidikron View Post
I don't think you are going to wind up with a bunch of ammonia in your tank from the amount being added via fert dosing. That amount is likely trivial compared to the volume of your tank.
I think the ammonia issue with using distilled water would be more of a concern if I'm using it a replacement water during water changes. If not for the glut, I will just use tap water for the macros. I've read somewhere to use distilled water with glut to make it more stable and lose less of its potency.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 11:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

Give this video a watch If you can, start it at 55:30 and listen to what is being said about Gluteraldehyde, especially LaMotte's comments about what real chemists say about handling Glut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HVT4Tdhl2k

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampsGrunge View Post
Give this video a watch If you can, start it at 55:30 and listen to what is being said about Gluteraldehyde, especially LaMotte's comments about what real chemists say about handling Glut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HVT4Tdhl2k
interesting video... made me now more cautious when handling glut. but what really surprises me is that they're claiming that glut doesn't really do much than act as an algaecide, is that right?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 02:49 AM
Algae Grower

Any cheap sources for pure or 50% glutaraldehyde? The 25ml bottle from science lab supply stores, at $39, makes a liter of 2.5% Excel equivalent and not a good value. Are the surfactants included in MetriCide 28 harmful to plants?
Is glutaraldehyde as effective as Co2 in the first place?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 03:10 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (127/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Any cheap sources for pure or 50% glutaraldehyde? The 25ml bottle from science lab supply stores, at $39, makes a liter of 2.5% Excel equivalent and not a good value. Are the surfactants included in MetriCide 28 harmful to plants?
Is glutaraldehyde as effective as Co2 in the first place?
Metricide by the gallon on Amazon is by far the cheapest option (that Im aware of)

Discard the little 'activator' packet that comes with it, dont use that.

Its fine for any plants that arent sensitive to Excel in the first place, Vals and Anacharis are the two main ones.

No, it's not nearly the same thing as having real co2. Not even close. But it does help a lot.

Think of it as a middle ground between real co2 and none at all.
roadmaster and roadmaster like this.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 09:00 PM
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply and info. I'll stick with my Co2 cylinder for now, but will use Metricide if system is ever down.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode