Using Excel in Pre-Mixed Fertilizer Solutions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Using Excel in Pre-Mixed Fertilizer Solutions

I originally posted this on Seachem's support forum and got a somewhat canned corporate response. Maybe their response is accurate, but it kinda sounds like corporate "best practice" "keep in original container" jargon and lacks any details or reasoning. I'm hoping some of you here have experience with what you do and/or are more scientifically minded than I am and could provide some additional info.

---------

I auto-dose my tanks using two DIY EI solutions, one for macros and one for micros. In the micros solution I use CSM+B as well as Iron Chelate 11% DPTA. I am thinking of adding Excel in with each solution (micros and macros). I read it helps prevent mold (?), and it would also be nice and convenient to include Excel as part of my auto-dosing routine. The solutions are 1,000ml each and are dosed over the course of 2 weeks. My tanks also have pressurized CO2.

Two questions based on this:
- Will the Excel last in the containers mixed with tap water and fertilizers over the 2 week dosing period? Will it break down or lose potency, or any other potential issues?
- Will the iron reducing properties of Excel be harmful, helpful, or indifferent for my micro mixture? I'm not sure if the high concentrations of iron and excel directly in the solution prior to them being dosed into the aquarium would be good or bad. If it breaks down the iron prior to it being added to the tank, is that good and still usable by the time it gets added to the aquarium? I'm not sure if it's possible it would go bad by the time it gets added to the tank if the interaction happens 2 weeks earlier.

I'm certainly no chemist and am not sure how all these things work and/or react with each other. Thank you in advance for your help

---------

Seachem's Response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacheam
Thank you for your post! To keep the Flourish Excel in its original form including the proper concentration and to keep it stabilized, we would recommend that you keep Flourish Excel in its original container and to dose separately from the other solutions you are mixing. I hope this helps. Have a nice day!
Original Question in Seachem Support Forum: Using Excel in Pre-Mixed Fertilizer Solutions - Seachem Support Forums

Last edited by crisp330; 08-23-2016 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Add Details

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode