Can you all tell us about the amount of nitrates plants soak up? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can you all tell us about the amount of nitrates plants soak up?

...like in a given amount of time, and how much space that plant(s) need to live?

I've spent the first year of the hobby learning how much waste some fish produce (have found adult angelfish producing as much as 40 or 50 ppm nitrate in a week), and am looking to learn how to balance it with plants. I do understand that I will have to dose potassium and iron, being that fish feces is not perfect plant food.

What aquarium plants would you say might soak up 10ppm nitrate per 6 hour day and how big an environment does that plant need? That is, in medium light, maybe medium-high, but do tell what you know, please, thank you. For instance, I might say that a 10 foot pothos vine could soak up around 5ppm per week, although, I wouldn't really know, and I'm more interested in hearing about submerged plants, or whatever you can tell me to help me learn, thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode